• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First track day done...

Hi Guys, took a chance last month and purchased a civic type r from ebay, on the strength of the lads description (i work away and was out of uk when i bought/committed to buy), with the intent of using as track/second car. I first had a civic type r maybe 6 years ago when i took one in px against a wrx sold as the wife absolutely hated that, anyway my intentions were to sell it straight on, but i liked it that much decided to run about in it, that lasted until i could no longer bear the wifes nagging (6 month later), saying that wasnt the plan (we were supposed to be going down to 1 car with me working away) anyway a few cars later i decided i wanted another......
After collecting the car,on thursday 7th Nov i attended my first track day at croft circuit, it was open session with 105db limit. Weather was mostly dry/damp for the majority of the day turning wet mid afternoon. Car was stock apart from some new Kumho ku39 tyres all round (i thought these performed very good) ferodo pads, braided brake hoses and uprated brake fluid (which i got done immediately after purchase, along with fluid check).
I started the day with a lesson, though to be honest was all a bit of information overload, though couple of points stuck. (i think in hindsight i would have been better having done a few solo laps first then lesson, as it turned out my lesson was immediately after my sighting laps.
i seemed to get overtaken by everyone and frequently most of the morning, i didnt find this a issue and im putting it down to my cautiousness/lack of confidence and ability more than the cars lack of power/speed.
however as the day went on i did find myself getting quicker, overtaking was less frequent and even managed to overtake 2 cars!!
my wife came and although she was down as a driver she was just happy to be passenger (she also had a lesson, straight after mine, the instructer said she was for more smoother than me!) i cant wait for my next one, had a thoroughly enjoyable time. so any guys/gals thinkiing about doing one, do it you wont regret it, i just wish i done one sooner.
the car performed flawlessly too (it has 118k miles on) though the instructor said there seemed a delay in vtec engaging?? maybe something i will investigate further, as i wasnt aware of it, but there again i dont have experience with that kind of thing......i also have some pics from day but unsure of how to upload?
thumbup.gif
bigsmile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
next stope before my next track day is a frsu, to include lowering springs possibly?
then maybe new exhaust and induction...

VTEC on a standard EP3 comes in at around 5,800 rpm. It might have been that the instructors had been in a couple of remapped CTRs before so didn't know.

As long as you keep an eye on your oil level, especially on track days, and don't over rev the engine on down shifts you'll be golden!

At that mileage it might also be worth checking the cam chain and tensioner are in good order. It's not on the service schedule but some can start showing signs of wear over 100k. Just something to bear in mind. In all likelihood it'll be fine.

Ok Loxy thanks i will do, it does seem fine to me to be honest but what do i know, just looking at couple bits on ebay, gruppe m induction, spoon n1 exhaust, and a silenced spoon pipe on here, do you think that will make much difference to car, without map etc?

It'll certainly sound a lot meatier!

In all seriousness though, I found my EP3 had more grunt in the mid range with the Spoon B pipe. They work best with a remap but you do get some gains with bolt on breathing mods.

The only thing you'll have to watch for is trackday noise limits with the Spoon N1. It's not a quiet back box by any means.

The GruppeM's sound nuts too. Worth every penny.

yeh heard you can keep original back box on, so may be something to look into just replacing with spoon b pipe, and gruppe m induction, then hopefully should have no concerns with noise restrictions on lower limit days, as definately planning more track days

Looks good mate what track is that? Brands hatch is a lovely one to do depending on how far away you are

Back