• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting a replica Pre-facelift Mugen grill to a facelift CTR

Baa

This is how I have fitted a replica pre facelift Mugen grill, to a facelift CTR.

Pop the bonnet.

d729f6b2.jpg

The first job is to remove Qty 10 of the plastic clips, the easiest way is to put a small bladed flat screwdriver under each side of the clip, then twist the screwdrivers. This will release the centre part of the clip.

DSC00763.jpg

I have used the lid of the fuse box to keep the clips safe.

DSC00765.jpg

Once all of the clips are removed gently pull the grill away from the plastic upper support, these are held together by plastic tabs.

DSC00767.jpg

With the upper plastic support removed look behind the grill at the top of the bumper, you will see Qty 4 more of the plastic clips, remove these.

DSC00768.jpg

The grill is held in place by a small lip with tabs on it, I pulled the sides of the grill out first then pulled the bottom part of the grill out.

DSC00772.jpg

The raised lumps are where the tabs locate.

DSC00774.jpg

The slam panel on the Mugen grill is a slightly different shape on the facelift, this is where a Dremal and sand paper come in handy.

DSC00775.jpg

I offered the complete Mugen grill to the bumper to see which parts need to be reshaped.

DSC00777.jpg

I want the grill to sit level with the bumper when fitted. To allow the grill to sit level i have decided to sand the internal lip off.

DSC00782.jpg

Firstly I used the Dremal to sand through the majority of the glass fibre. Using a hover to suck up all the dust.

DSC00785.jpg

I continued this all the way round the underside of the grill.

DSC00789.jpg

I then marked off how much of the grill i needed to remove. I used the high point on the radius of the grill lip as my guide.

DSC00791.jpg

Then I sanded the underside of the grill flat, this will allow the grill to sit correctly on the bumper.

DSC00792.jpg

Using a sanding block and a fine grade sand paper, I sanded the edges straight.

DSC00797.jpg

Using the slam panel support I marked and cut the top of the grill to shape.

DSC00798.jpg

The Slam panel support and the Mugen Grill were then fitted to the car to check that all the edges lined up correctly.

6c14d12a.jpg

1086ad67.jpg

c169be5e.jpg

Looks better doesn't it

DSC00833.jpg

Once the grill is sprayed stick on the Honda and Mugen badges ( I brought the Mugen badge from Unit-8 £17 and the Honda badge from the dealers £16)

DSC00831.jpg

Using Trim double sided stickt tape (Halfords £3) fix tape to outside edge of the grill. Note, cut 'V's into the tape when you bend it, this will allow it to sit flat once the gill is fitted.

DSC00832.jpg

Fit the tape all around the grill

DSC00834.jpg

Clean the face of the bumper where the grill is going to stick to.

DSC00838.jpg

Sit back and admire..... :D
DSC00835.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Hope this helps...

Baa said:
dotty said:
Wow that looks great :D

Cheers, took about 1.5 hours to get it to fit how i wanted.

Well worth the time.

Are you getting one?

I have reserved a genuine mugen facelift grill.. Will need to get it sprayed from black to silver :wink:

Thats looking good mate... but just a quick note, be careful with the halfords tape, the adhesive doesn't seem to be very good. Particularly after getting wet.

The best stuff I find is the scotch sticky fixers for door number plates which annoyingly comes only in 1 inch squares.

dotty said:
Looking great there mate!! 8)

Your carbon bonnet has vanished!

Cheers, I sold the bonnet to Ben when i had planned to sell the CTR, now i am keeping it a little longer :oops:

R20190 said:
Thats looking good mate... but just a quick note, be careful with the halfords tape, the adhesive doesn't seem to be very good. Particularly after getting wet.

The best stuff I find is the scotch sticky fixers for door number plates which annoyingly comes only in 1 inch squares.

Thanks for the advice, I may use silicon sealant to bond the grill to the bumper, I will keep an eye on how well the Halfords sticky pads work.

Im thinking on getting on of these now, silly question but does the replica come in a facelift version?

My mate has just fitted a pre facelift grill to his facelift bumper and he didnt have too much trouble. He didnt even need to sand it to get it to sit right.

And has anyone got any pics of one on a facelift nhb?

Back