• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting Mugen Airbox?

I'm having a few problem fitting my Mugen Airbox :(

This includes knocking off a coolant pipe but thats a different story :evil:
My main problems are fitting the scoop. I can get the Airbox in place no problem, but can't get the scoop on.

I have the DC5 Scoop that should fit but I can't get into position :x

So I have tried using the standard scoop. I put it on the airbox 1st but then can't get the airbox in position with it on.

So I tried leaving the scoop in position and loose. Then I placed the airbox in position, but then I can't get enough access to fit the scoop pipe to the bottom of the airbox :evil:

Can anyone give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong?

paul.goffin said:
I'm having a few problem fitting my Mugen Airbox :(

This includes knocking off a coolant pipe but thats a different story :evil:
My main problems are fitting the scoop. I can get the Airbox in place no problem, but can't get the scoop on.

I have the DC5 Scoop that should fit but I can't get into position :x

So I have tried using the standard scoop. I put it on the airbox 1st but then can't get the airbox in position with it on.

So I tried leaving the scoop in position and loose. Then I placed the airbox in position, but then I can't get enough access to fit the scoop pipe to the bottom of the airbox :evil:

Can anyone give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Paul,

Don't worry, its a complete B*stard to get it all on. I found I'd get the large end of the pipe onto the airbox, then push the pipe and scoop in position which would pull the end off the airbox again. The large radiator pipe doesn't help, as mine pushes down on the square section pipe where it joins the stock pipe, and kept separating there as well.

Ideally, you want a big jubilee clip to keep the large end on the airbox, so you can give it some serious welly to get it in position.

In the end, I didn't use the bolt to secure the scoop, and lowered it down abit on a piece of wire through the bolt hole. This put less stress on the pipe from the radiator hose. Seems to be in place OK now. I had a lot of sore fingers and skinned knuckles that day !

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon, I just found your jap instructions from the other forum.

I take it you used the Scoop supplied? I have had a look and can't see how it will pit at all. I have a facelift CTR with aircon and its right next to the aircon radiator fan and there is no room :(
I can't even fit the scoop without the airbox attached :evil:

So I've been trying to the standard air intake/scoop. I'll have another try when I have some more time. I'll take your advice and try and secure the pipe before fitting it with the airbox.

paul.goffin said:
Thanks for the reply Jon, I just found your jap instructions from the other forum.

I take it you used the Scoop supplied? I have had a look and can't see how it will pit at all. I have a facelift CTR with aircon and its right next to the aircon radiator fan and there is no room :(
I can't even fit the scoop without the airbox attached :evil:

So I've been trying to the standard air intake/scoop. I'll have another try when I have some more time. I'll take your advice and try and secure the pipe before fitting it with the airbox.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I had the proper EP3 scoop. Mine is pre-facelift with air-con, so not sure if Honda have changed anything. There was definately room for the EP3 scoop, I just found it put less strain on the pipes if it was about an inch lower than the proper bolt hole, as put together properly the square pipe, round stock pipe and scoop seemed slightly short.

Jon

Well I have finally fitted my Mugen Airbox :twisted:

I had the DC5 Scoop instead of the EP3 one :( so for the time being I have fitted the Orginal scoop. I'll experiment with this one for a little while then I might try the DC5 scoop. This should fit as I managed to get it in place one I had removed the battery, but there is no secure fitting for it, so I would have to fit it with cabe ties :?

One thing I have noticed is the breather hose from the rocker cover seems a little loose on the Mugen airbox :( So I have put a load of vaseline on there to improve the seal.

So here are some pics of the process.

Here is the OEM airbox with the cover off to show the 3 bolts holding it in place.
2005_0925Image0001.jpg

Here is the fixing for the Scoop that has to be unbolted to remove the scoop. I have used the same fixing with the Mugen
2005_0925Image0002.jpg

The OEM airbox completely removed
2005_0925Image0003.jpg

Here are the bungs you have to remove and fit to the Mugen. You just prise out the brass insert to remove the rubber section
2005_0925Image0004.jpg

The Scoop fitted to the Mugen, you have to make sure it is well secured, because its very painful if it falls off once in place and helps when you fit it.
2005_0925Image0005.jpg

All the hard work done, with the scoop and bottom half od the box fitted
2005_0925Image0006.jpg

Job Done
2005_0925Image0008.jpg
:(

Back