• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting Mugen Grille without taking bumper off

Mark43

Honorary Member
It's pretty easy to fit, you'll need one stubby crosshead screwdriver and a hairdryer. The wide bits of tape go on the lower side of the grille where it sits on the bumper. I've no idea what the long thin one's for, I binned it.

Open the bonnet and take out the 8 clips holding the top of the bumper and grille on. You just pop the inner part of the clip out and then pull the outer off. After you've got all 8 out, lift the bonnet catch and carefully flex the bumper out from under the catch. You can then reach down the gap and take the 4 screws out holding the bottom of the stock grille on. Remove the grille and flex the bumper back under the catch.

Clean the whole area where the bumper will sit (meths or similar is good) and then dry it with the hairdryer. Work out where the grille will sit, remove the tape and heat with the hairdryer. Very carefully line the grille up making sure the 4 holes for the clips are lined up. Press the grille into position with firm pressure and hold for 30 seconds. Fit the 4 clips (either the ones that come with it, or the Honda ones), close the bonnet, stand back and admire

With due credit to Rossco 8)

hi mate is this on a pre facelift? as i went to try out mine today and took the 8 plastic nut things out and it seemed a really tight squeeze getting the top past the bonnet clip (if you know what i mean) ill have another go tomorrow, just checking if it was as tight when you did it and if it will go that far and not snap off!!
thanks!!
other than this minor problem im having, very helpful post!!

hi mate is this on a pre facelift? as i went to try out mine today and took the 8 plastic nut things out and it seemed a really tight squeeze getting the top past the bonnet clip (if you know what i mean) ill have another go tomorrow, just checking if it was as tight when you did it and if it will go that far and not snap off!!
thanks!!
other than this minor problem im having, very helpful post!!

It sounds like it's for a pre-face as I fitted mine yesterday (Facelift) and whilst, obviously, similar - the process was ultimately slightily different.

As the OP says - you have to slightily flex it, as whilst I didn't have any problems with my bumper as it's not like the facelift at the top (where the clips go) my Grille just popped out, but I had to remove the cooling plate/slam panel, which I negotiated, but was fiddily.

It's just a case of flexing/pulling it forward as much as you can/as much as it gives and popping the grille out. Sometimes you have to be a bit firmer with it - maintaing care/caution along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh yes a little bit of persuasion and got it off. pretty flexible once you get it pas the bonnet clip. yep mines a pre facelift, just wanted to make sure
thanks for your help much appreciated

typeriter, just seen the pic of your mugen grill (on the stolen thread, wont go into it but what a shi*ter) looks quality!! mine should be sorted soon, get some pics up when its done.

Back