• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Induction help

I bought a 2009 Type R GT on friday, and ive ordered a HKS racing suction kit for it.
Ive read all sorts of horror stories about heat soak, and now a little worried I might have just spent £350 on something that is gonna make the car perform worse!
Is the heat soak really that bad? Also I see alot of people complaining about a flat spot, is this just a stutter on quick accelration, or is the flat spot at some point through the rev range?
I dont want to spend the silly money for the Mugen intake kit, so thought the HKS would be a good buy. The noise sounds amazing in the videos ive seen. Just hope it isnt gonna make the performance worse.
Any hints or advice would be appreciate.

I never got heat soak with my HKS.

It helped me to make 247 bhp when combined with all my mods so it can't be all that bad!

It does sit quite close to the firewall so isn't that near the rocker cover, manifold or the gearbox, and the undertray is supposed to push air up into the engine bay.

I did get C bit anal about getting cold air to it though. Have a read back through the last few pages of my build thread. Link is in my signature.

I've added a cold air scoop and C custom heatshield and now get around 8C intake temps above ambient. Not bad when the Mugen intake normally manages 6C.

Thanks for the info.

Where abouts have you got the scoop bringing up the cold air? I was looking at a k&n cold air intake flexi pipe to feed up to the HKS filter from somewhere down below. I see in your instruction thread on fitting the HKS RSK you have kept the air intake from the original box. Is that enough or shall I find another feed from somewhere?

Also the only other mod im thinking of doing is the hondata system to get the v-tec kicking in at 3800rpm. Any ideas where I can get that done and how much?

Damn, thats alot of work. I might try and find a route with the k&n pipes. But if like you say, the HKS is pretty good anyway I might just see how it goes with the standard cold air feed.
Must say, love driving this Type R. I used to have a Celica GT vvtl-i before I got this last week. And the Type R and the i-vtec is so much stronger.

Just wait until you get it remapped. You'll wonder why Honda put the VTEC crossover so high!

HKS all fitted now. Sounds immense! And revs seem to pick up alot quicker than standard!
Just a couple of questions. The replacement water hose, when attatched to the nipple on the head, even with the spring clip on, it can be pulled straight off with little bit of force. Surely you shouldn't be able to pull off a coolant pipe no matter what?
Also the top rad hose touches the bottom of the induction pipe, this can't help with the heat? Maybe heat tape wrapped round the coolant pipe?

I'm not sure what I did with my pipe. I can't recall it being easy to pull off again. You've not got the spring clips mixed up and used a bigger one from somewhere else?

My rad hose is close, but doesn't touch. I think some people have taken the intake pipe off at the throttle body end and refitted. If you tighten it up at a certain angle (not much in it mind) it moves further away.

I've had my RSK fitted for about 18 months now and I've never had any problems with heatsoak or any of the hoses popping off.

I left the hose as it was and took it for a good thrashing, and its still on there alright. Only comes off with hard pull, which is bugging me, so ive replaced the spring clip with a proper jubilee clip. Now its solid. Car seems to running with it on, and if anything seems rev so much more freely! I wasnt expecting any performance gain but it definitely feels more responsive, and that sound when it hits the vtec is immense!
Only thing ive noticed is a very, very, very slight hesitation when cruising along in 3rd gear upwards and planting the accelerator quickly.
Other than that, love it, love the car, so glad I swapped my old celica for the type R.

:cool:

Tegiwa M is what people call the EP3 intake though. Copy of the GruppeM, that's why people call it the TegiwaM.

Just so you don't go round confusing people! ;)

I'm confused i got tegiwa on my fn2 with remap so don't get why devil 84 needs another scoop when it fits directly onto foglight scoop or am i being thick

devil84 doesn't have the tract to the foglight, he's thinking of doing it a different way. ;)

Back