• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fn2 -Tegiwa Manifold - install

hi guys,

few questions I need some assistance with if you don't mind.

Getting around to fitting my new manifold - been told once fitted need to reset ecu once o2 is installed to bypass the engine light showing on the dash, is this right?

Can I reset the ecu by d/C from the battery point, think someone mentioned something about this before but can remember off hand!

Also, bit of a stupid question but been told different things by diff people - I'm installing the manifold - already have a cat back - my car will fail on emissions on mot even with cat in place?

Looking at options to get around this - what Is best option - replace with a de-cat - if so what reccomendations do you have? Or replace it with a sports cat - again what options are out there as they all seem pretty pricey!

Or do I just leave it with the cat?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

thanks

hi guys,

few questions I need some assistance with if you don't mind.

Hi! :smt006

Getting around to fitting my new manifold - been told once fitted need to reset ecu once o2 is installed to bypass the engine light showing on the dash, is this right?

Can I reset the ecu by d/C from the battery point, think someone mentioned something about this before but can remember off hand!

You won't need to reset the ECU if you fit the O2 spacer before you start the engine. If you happen to, yes pull the battery or clear it with an OBD reader. Just be wary that putting in an O2 spacer will not allow the ECU to compensate the fuelling needed for adding a decat. The engine will be able to get rid of the exhaust gasses better and so will scavenge more air/fuel than before. The ECU cannot compensate enough for this and so the mixture going in will be leaner than it should be. i.e you will be running lean. The O2 sensor only fools the ECU into thinking that the CAT is still there and working correctly, and they have been known to work for a short time and the EML light still comes on. Not always but sometimes.

Also, bit of a stupid question but been told different things by diff people - I'm installing the manifold - already have a cat back - my car will fail on emissions on mot even with cat in place?

Yes it will fail, but no you won't have the cat in place.

The Tegiwa manifold replaces the two manifold sections between your cat-back and the engine head, replacing the 4-1 manifold and cat section with the Tegiwa 4-2-1 manifold.

Looking at options to get around this - what Is best option - replace with a de-cat - if so what reccomendations do you have? Or replace it with a sports cat - again what options are out there as they all seem pretty pricey!

Or do I just leave it with the cat?

As above, you won't have the cat in there. The only way round this is to find a friendly MOT tester and hope you don't get stopped at a VOSA checkpoint or roadside, "Survey," but make sure you tell your insurance or they can refuse to pay out.

You could also get a sports cat welded into your cat-back B-pipe replacing the front silencer, but they have been known to still fail as they are far enough from the engine that they don't get hot enough to work effectively.

top lad, thanks LOxy :D

Couple queiries -

so basically fit it - install a sports cat ( been taking a look at tegiwa one on their website ( please advise if better option out there )- but as you say would need welding in place ) get it mapped it should sort out the kinks.

Or realistically get a de-cat pipe to fit between the mani and catback for now until can source a sports cat?
Understand cant get around the emission issue unless lucky the sports cat ( once fitted )_ is warm enough to pass the test!!

Fitting the o2 spacer fingers crossed removes the dash light - if not once mapped this can be removed for good?

the queiry I had was surely if you inform your insurance that you fitted a manifold - they will know it wont pass emissions so surely your just admitting to them that your exhaust isn't legal?! Because as you mention above even with a sports cat - its likely to fail the emmissions test - so is there anyway around this without the good ol friendly mot tester :D

Appreciate the help - sorry for being such a noob LOL:asw:

top lad, thanks LOxy :D

Couple queiries -

so basically fit it - install a sports cat ( been taking a look at tegiwa one on their website ( please advise if better option out there )- but as you say would need welding in place ) get it mapped it should sort out the kinks.

Exactly, spot on. Tegiwa one is as good as any.

Or realistically get a de-cat pipe to fit between the mani and catback for now until can source a sports cat?
Understand cant get around the emission issue unless lucky the sports cat ( once fitted )_ is warm enough to pass the test!!

You can't stick a pipe in there. Manifold bolts directly to your cat-back, there is nothing in between.

Yes the sports cat has to be hot as people normally thrash it to the testers and out it straight on the machine.

Fitting the o2 spacer fingers crossed removes the dash light - if not once mapped this can be removed for good?

Yes once mapped it is off for good, no need for an O2 spacer then.

the queiry I had was surely if you inform your insurance that you fitted a manifold - they will know it wont pass emissions so surely your just admitting to them that your exhaust isn't legal?! Because as you mention above even with a sports cat - its likely to fail the emmissions test - so is there anyway around this without the good ol friendly mot tester :D

Appreciate the help - sorry for being such a noob LOL:asw:

Exactly. Some insurers are refusing to cover a decat or race manifold for exactly that reason.

Nope no way round it other than not swapping the manifold, or swapping it back every MOT time.

Plenty do it, but it is illegal to use a car on the road if it won't pass the emissions test and it's an MOT fail to remove the original cat even, bit most testers just rely on the emissions test as a measure of that. It's just a choice you make and whether you run the risk of getting caught.

Cheers again loxy:)

ok so if I get it mapped will resolve the o2 sensor issue - what happens then with the spacer - does the map just allow it to re-calibrate with the new flow levels as new mani and exhaust been fitted or isit removed and replaced with another part do you know?

Got it - install the cat but then give it a good ragging before taking it into mot - hopefully should be hot enough to pass through.

Can I ask what you did with your system on your car when you had same vehicle? did you just leave mani in and get a "special mot " or did you have sports cat installed?
Just wondering if its worth the hassle removing the mani everytime for mot - sounds like hassle :(

Roughly do you know what bhp I will be looking at afterwards with a map - running full tegiwa exhaust system + mani + HKS induction. hoping for around 210hp+ - but please correct me if in wrong!

Cheers again loxy:)

ok so if I get it mapped will resolve the o2 sensor issue - what happens then with the spacer - does the map just allow it to re-calibrate with the new flow levels as new mani and exhaust been fitted or isit removed and replaced with another part do you know?

You wouldn't fit the spacer if it was mapped. The secondary lambda sensor monitoring is just turned off and so the EML doesn't come on.

The tuner monitors the AFR during tuning and sets the fuelling tables for RPM and throttle position etc. accordingly. So this calculation is largely taken away from being calibrated with the lambda sensors on a stock set-up.

Got it - install the cat but then give it a good ragging before taking it into mot - hopefully should be hot enough to pass through.

Yep.

Can I ask what you did with your system on your car when you had same vehicle? did you just leave mani in and get a "special mot " or did you have sports cat installed?
Just wondering if its worth the hassle removing the mani everytime for mot - sounds like hassle :(

Special MOT at a range of local testers. Squeaky bum driving past roadside surveys and declared with my insurance who the last time recorded it as a modification.

Roughly do you know what bhp I will be looking at afterwards with a map - running full tegiwa exhaust system + mani + HKS induction. hoping for around 210hp+ - but please correct me if in wrong!

With a remap, you'll get around 220-230 depending on which rolling road you go on. It will have a lot more mid-range than the peak figure suggests though and so will feel a lot faster.

All sounds good - by sounds of it squeaky bum time it is then LOL :D

When you say you declared it to insurance, you declared that yours was de-cat or sports cat or what? I'm a little confused :D

I have declared my exhaust ( catback ) and HKS so far and will notify of my manifold when its fitted - hopefully wont jump up too much in price !!

220+ you say - sounds good to me :D:D Just cant wait to get rid of the dreaded flat spot caused by my HKS its sooooo annoying :(

so declared as de-cat and they allowed it?

Could you also let me know any reputable tuners I could use in south of England - hear nothing but rave reviews for a couple firms up north but could really do without the 3-4hour commute each way!

Based in SW London - clueless on who is around me that's worth giving a shout.

The last time I renewed my insurance on my FN2 they did refuse to cover it at first, but agreed to note it as a modification but would not cover it if it caused a claim as it was a modification that technically led to the car being un-roadworthy.

Down south you have TGM in Fleet, Europsec in Guildford, Performance Autoworks in Fairford and Dream Automotive near Watford. Pretty much all good news stories from those places.

cheers loxy. so just to get my facts straight - they said they would insure it as a decat but if a claim came to light then they would not cover it - so basically your whole car insurance would be null and void is basically what they were saying - or just saying they wouldn't cover the modification itself?

Good few tuners down here then, wasn't aware of them tBH!! Will do some digging :)

If the decat was found to be the cause of the claim. Anything else and they would cover it.

Back