• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Type R Buying Advise

Im going to potentially buy a FN2 type r this weekend but it has well over 100k on the clock. Ive heard that they are reliable engines but is it something that should put me off buying?

Im not going to buy it and have constant issues with it?

How long do the engines last in these cars? If needed id forge it or something similar to keep it running for as long as possible.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

No need to forge them unless you are going boosted really.

Buying guide is here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=84577

As long as it has been serviced on schedule and not run low on oil at any point it will run and run.

The timing chain is the weak point if anything. They are supposed to last the life of the engine, but it is at least worth checking the chain, tensioner and guides at 100k.

No need to forge them unless you are going boosted really.

Buying guide is here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=84577

As long as it has been serviced on schedule and not run low on oil at any point it will run and run.

The timing chain is the weak point if anything. They are supposed to last the life of the engine, but it is at least worth checking the chain, tensioner and guides at 100k.
Awesome cheers!

Most cars with 100k+ people tend to stay away haha! Loved the fn2's since they came out!

Awesome cheers!

Most cars with 100k+ people tend to stay away haha! Loved the fn2's since they came out!

Hi pal,

just out out of curiosity. What's the details on the car your looking at ?
What year, is it mega cheap ?

Dont get me wrong. The Fn2 is a good car. I've owned one my self. Just bare in mind that it's not just the engine that's done 100k +. The gear box and all running gear has done the equivalent.
Theres every chance it will be a good car, assuming it's been very well looked after, as Loxy has said.
Due to the mileage, I would not touch a car that doesn't have full documented history with those miles, no matter what car it is. There is loads of Fn2's out there !!
Make sure you hear / drive the car from cold. My old 57 Fn2 had 3rd and 4th gear synchro's done by Honda before I bought it at 40k. These cars do still suffer gear box issues.
Dash squeaks, clicking clutch pedal and squeaking rear shocks are common. Interior squeaks are no big deal to me. The clicking clutch pedal, I just lived with. The rear shocks are fine after a few minutes. Just need to get the oil around them. The car may feel a little hesitant from cold, but should drive perfectly after a few minutes. I'm yet to come across one that's not a little rough from cold. Strangely enough, my Ep3 is perfect from cold ??

Just be very careful. Go with your head, not your heart !!

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask !

Cheers

Back