• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Focus ST v new CTR(R)

kal said:
garypaul said:
Nice car except for the 'orrible orange paint option and the lead weight like depreciation
the horrible orange will be limited to 100-150 I think and is supposed to look 8) in the flesh

Forget the colour, the Focus is a fecking horrible car now IMHO...

adelphi said:
Has anyone here actually driven an ST or the GTI or the WRX? :?

I just love it when people just Regurgitate what they hear on tv and read in magazines without actually having an opinion of their own!!! :x

I don`t think anyone`s doing that mate, just offering their opinions for discussion, as you do on a car forum, you know :wink:

BTW, like G, I also have a Scooby STi, and have owned a CTR, and a WRX, and have also driven the GTI, but not the new ST.

Out of all those I`ve listed, (barring the ST of course), the slowest one, IMHO, is the GTI, which I think is over-rated.

Just my tuppeny`s worth.........................

AdFocusST.jpg

:lol:

Saw a Orange ST driving through Canary Wharf a couple of weekendsd ago and it looked very very nice. It made a lot of people's head turn which is pretty hard in Canary Wharf

I drove this yesterday in orange and in the flesh it looks good.

The car sounds very nice as standard and drives well to.

The interior is quite tacky and didnt like the steering wheel but the recaro's hold you in very well.

The turbo kicks in at the right time so you feel as you get instant power but takes a while getting to the readline by that point CTR would be level.

Found on a slightly damp country lane you get a lot of torque steer but it is 225bhp I suppose. I hit a slight bump and car nearly went on across on to the next lane at one point :shock:

Steering felt better then the CTR and car stuck well to the road when at speed.

Gear on CTR is much nicer though.

Brakes were really good, maybe because its a new car but felt lot sharper then the CTR.

When you go quick the high torque pushes you back in your seat which is good but the engine isnt as loud as vtec which is something that I like on the CTR.

Car is lot softer, I went over a few bumps and the car dealt with it quite well your not jumping out of your seat as much as in the CTR.

Quite similar cars so not sure if its worth trading the CTR for but if I was buying either of the two new it may just be the ST.

Lets be honest,
A massed produced ford..... performance car
A semi massed produced Honda........ performance car
Technology........ Hmmm
Ford........ Sh1t3
Hmm
Hm
Honda

Saw one the other day and I have got to say :) to the colour choice, I would say that though.

kal said:
garypaul said:
Nice car except for the 'orrible orange paint option and the lead weight like depreciation
the horrible orange will be limited to 100-150 I think and is supposed to look 8) in the flesh

P Reddy said:
Lets be honest,
A massed produced ford..... performance car
A semi massed produced Honda........ performance car
Technology........ Hmmm
Ford........ Sh1t3
Hmm
Hm
Honda

I would change that to A massed produced Honda!

They had the ST on both top gear and fith gear! Both liked them but VBH stll preferd the type r. Plato likes it because its softer than the CTR! (Is that he why he finished behind honda in most of the touring car champs :lol: ) It was two seconds slower around the TG test track! Although I would prefer it to the Golf and the Astra!

On road i would personally go for the GTi...
I owned an S40 T5 lots of carry over components to the ST and i diddnt like the engine very much, yes its strong and torque is everywhere, but it diddnt have soul!
Then again i wouldnt buy a GTi because of the price of the damn things! even if they are fun to drive.
Astra... prob a very good car but depreciation and build quality would put me off.
CTR... If it wasnt out of production prob still the one i would go for, Ok it may not be as good on road as some of the modern stuff, but its cheaper and can still show the others the way home on track.

In conclusion all are great cars but all have good and bad points!

The new bunch of hot hatches appear to be more of the Seat Leon Cupra R competitors than a direct CTR rival.

When I looked at buying a CTR the Leon was dismissed very quickly because of it's comfort factor, which didn't interest me in the slightest. The only cars which appealed in the hot hatch sector were the CTR and the FFRS. The only new option in that vein is the Megane Cup 225, but obviously I'm used to reliability now.

With the ST I think Ford have missed a trick, they could have stripped it down a little more, uprated that anti roll bars, and sold it as a rival to the CTR.

Back