• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gear Lever moving free CTR

Looks like something has given up in my gearbox. Tried doing a search but can find nothing about this.

Here is what happened...

Pulled up to some lights. Went to put it in first and the gear lever just moved around freely. Luckily I was stuck in 3rd so managed to get home easily enough.
First thing I did was to check under the gear lever and all linkages where in tact. Then got someone to check under the bonnet so that when I moved the lever left right, up down that the linkages where moving on top of the gearbox. Thought it might be that one of the cables had snapped inside the outer coverings but wishful thinking I guess. Makes no difference if you press or depress the clutch. Strange thing is that I have never had any problems with my gearbox. Not even any signs of where and tear. Clutch has been perfect.
The gear lever seems to move very easily around and around as though it is something silly like a pin in the gearbox or something.

My CTR is a 51 with 87k on the clock. The car has been perfect up until now. Really she has been exceptionally great mechanically.

Anyone come across this or something similar?

Back