• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

gearbox fill bolt

Well I've stripped the thread on my gearbox fill can someone help is there such thing as a self tapping sump bolt also what size is this bolt the washer is 20mm please help/advise.
Steve

You can sometimes over tap the thread and use a larger bolt to match but they don't really work well.
You're best off using a recoil kit. You just need to find out what size and pitch the thread is and buy the right kit.

M__1200.jpg

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/hond...ock_01=17S5S01&block_02=M__1200&block_03=9726

#10? The description says 32mm.

#13 says drain plug 20mm.

I wouldn't go re-threading the fill hole while on the car for fear of filings getting inside the box.

There's a magnetic pick up inside the box that should pick up some of the filings. It's a crude set up the gearbox, it's not so much an issue compared to the engine that has very small oil ways that are easily blocked.
After doing the repair, I'd run some cheap gearbox/engine oil through the gearbox and drain to get rid of any large parts.

The magnet is designed to pull away particle sized wear and tear shedding from the gears and keep them away from the moving parts. I would have it removed and done off the car personally.

Ignore my previous comment. The casing is aluminium so nothing will stick to the magnet.
Majority of the metal will stick to the tap. That's why there's groves along the tap. Taking the gearbox out and pulling apart the casing is an extreme way to do it. I repair aluminium sump plugs threads on a weekly basis (good old V.A.G *****). Never drop the sump and never had an issue with metal filings blocking up the oil pump or oil ways. Like I said after doing it just give it a quick flush and you'll be good. Just don't over tighten it next time.

So will that ebay kit ** ok it says 20mm I believe the bolt size to be 20mm just rapped the old bolt with plumbers tap and some gasket seal there's a small amount of thread left to hold good job its fill not drain plug

Back