• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Grinding noise/tapping and juddering ctr

Hi everyone, I have a judder am a grinding noise from start up however it doesn't go off, it sounds worse when reversing and seems to go off after acelerating but it's constantly there when ticking over and in reverse. Tried a oil change also using a lighter grade of oil to 0w30 full synth but no joy, the noise seems to be louder from inside the car. Any help would be great?

Does pushing the clutch make any difference to the noise?
Does it change with speed?
What is the milage on your car?
Has it had a new clutch?

To be honest pushing the clutch doesn't make a difference and neither does speed. The milage is 97k and the clutch hasn't been done recently no pal

Right, probably not clutch or gearbox related then.

Have a look at the heatshields, they tend to fall apart and make horrible noises. The first time one of mine went I thought is was a bearing. Common culprits are the heatshields near:

Exhaust manifold
Driveshaft x 2
Cat
Mid silencer

Yeah after the oil change I'm starting to think it's something to do with the exhaust system somewhere possibly. As it sounds very heavy inside the car as apposed to under the bonnet. Just hoping it's not the timing chain and tensioner but would that be more noticeable under the bonnet rather then in the car? P.s cheers for your help so far bud

Timing chain shouldn't make a noise like what you have described. If it was damaged badly enough to make a loud noise, then your engine would have blown up already in all likelyhood.

True true, more the tensioner really but I'll check the heat shields and the exhaust system too pal. Cheers for the advice and I'll still try and get a video up later too.

Back