• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hassles Reading The Dipstick

Just been out to check my oil and I can't get a clean reading from the dipstick, theres splatters of oil up the dipstick above the max mark so I can't see the true level of the oil. (And yes I have cleaned the dipstick. :D) I flipped it over to see if I could get a better reading from the other side and it was showing just above the min mark, so I've topped it up to just under the halfway mark.

I checked it about a week and a half ago and the reading was between the min and max, anyone got any ideas if the reading I got was correct?

Was the engine hot, parked on flat ground, did you wipe, then dip (wait a couple of seconds and then pull the dip stick out to read the level?

How many mile shave you drven since the last time you checked the oil?

Captain Redbeard said:
I gave up trying to read the dipstick in a warm engine a long time ago.

I always read it from cold now and have found over time that if the level is inbetween min and max when the engine's cold then this equates to almost bang on max when it's warmed up. :)

Thats what I do now, I prefer to see it just below the max level.
So far it has only needed topping up once, after I returned back from last years Honda Tour.

Now I'm using Sikolene 5/40 I'm finding hard to get a decent reading even when cold.

I scored the flat area of the dipstick with a scriber in a crosshatch sort of style. Works a treat now and is very easy to read.

I scored the flat area of the dipstick with a scriber in a crosshatch sort of style. Works a treat now and is very easy to read.

Quality idea this is really helps a lot

Tarticus said:

I'm going to have to try this, at Brands it was a nightmare to get a decent reading when you really wanted it :evil:

paul.goffin said:
Tarticus said:

I'm going to have to try this, at Brands it was a nightmare to get a decent reading when you really wanted it :evil:

It is so easy to do and made a big differenjce to mine. Two minute job.

Back