• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Have I got anything to worry about?

Been to TDI North for some work on my CTR fn2. Part of the job list was the fitting of a stage 2 c clutch. I realise it has a run in period where I have to take it easy for 200 miles or so.
My question is:
Is it normal to smell the clutch burning when driving normally? More evident when doing a hill start or reversing. Also when pulling away very slowly it judders. Feels like its getting friction, then not, then getting friction again. In reverse is the same.
However when I give it a few revs and come off the clutch quickly it is fine.

cheers in advance for any support

Have you spoke to TDI North about this?

Why did you fit a stage 2 clutch?

Hi, Have sent them an email because Rob no longer works there so nobody answers the phone. No Doubt Paul may reply later in the day. I had a stage 2 clutch fitted because the standard was on its way out. I'm supercharging it next year so along with a quaiffe diff I was advised a standard clutch will fail to cope with the extra load.

Ah, fair enough. I was going to say that unless you're going FI then the OEM clutch is fine.

Personally no, but I don't fit clutches for a living.

When I had a stage 2 clutch in my S2000 it felt like OEM but with a little more bite. No noises or smells!

Great?? Possible problems then. The only things I can think of are, it wasn't lined up properly when the gearbox was put back in place or I've been unlucky and got a bad un. I cant see TDI miss aligning it because their work has always been perfect in the past.
Lets just hope it maybe a characteristic of that particular clutch.

Great?? Possible problems then. The only things I can think of are, it wasn't lined up properly when the gearbox was put back in place or I've been unlucky and got a bad un. I cant see TDI miss aligning it because their work has always been perfect in the past.
Lets just hope it maybe a characteristic of that particular clutch.

Phoned up cclutches and they said this is heard of and as long as I don't slip the clutch too much at low speed things will return to normal once it's ran in.
Also spoke to a couple of lads on a different forum who have had these issues and they do go away eventually.

Back