• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help! Fitting Bilstein B16 to ITR 05

Hope you can help guys, I'm a bit stuck fitting some Bilstein B16 to my ITR.

Apologies if this is poorly explained..

My issue is with the rear suspension units and the reuse of the OEM parts from the original strut assembly.

From my understanding of the diagram you need to use the OE top mount and OE bushes, but replace the sleeve with a Bilstein supplied sleeve. The sleeve goes between the bushes and splits either side of the top mount (inside it).

I guess the reason you replace the sleeve is the diameter of the strut at the top is different. Unfortunately the bushes have a metal cap or end piece with a whole for the struct to go through. Unfortunately its too small to go over the B16 assembly and so I can't use them.

Am i supposed drill out the bushes? The fitment instructions don't say to do that, or do I some how remove the metal cap completely?

I'll try and post some pictures to help show where I mean.

Any help really appreciated.

:confused::confused:
:confused::confused:

I know something has to be done to make them fit as they are for the EP3 and not DC5, I thought it was just EP3 track rod ends though. Quick call to Tom at TGM and I'm sure he'll be able to advise.

I know something has to be done to make them fit as they are for the EP3 and not DC5, I thought it was just EP3 track rod ends though. Quick call to Tom at TGM and I'm sure he'll be able to advise.
Thanks for the reply Chris.......
Sorry TGM? Is that in Fleet?

To be honest the whole job ended in disappointment. I also got stuck fitting some rear Eibach adjustable camber arms too, I found some form of load sensor on the rear drivers side arm, and there was no way to accommodate it on the Eibach arms, still don't know what it is :confused:

Any ideas??
IMG_0195 by Mark, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an auto headlight level adjuster.

Grinspeed fabricated a bracket for mine on my FD2.

IMAG2396.jpg

It's an auto headlight level adjuster.

Grinspeed fabricated a bracket for mine on my FD2.

Cheers for that, I thought it was something like that. I don't have a C-pack and my lights don't appear to be HID, so I'm surprised tbh.

It comes on the facelift as standard. Your lights are HIDs unless someone's removed them. Yes TGM in Fleet.

It comes on the facelift as standard. Your lights are HIDs unless someone's removed them. Yes TGM in Fleet.

Well based on the performance of the light i.e. Illumination I'd say not. I bought the car fresh from Torque GT so I'd hope it was standard!

The lights as standard are pretty decent. Could be a faulty ballast or anything really.

Well I'm totally stuck now, I've got new B16 units, Eibach camber arms and tie new EP3 rod ends, but can't really progress due to this headlight adjuster, even if I could drill out the bush, which was the original issue.

The Eibach arms use a plate which rotates around the arm when you back off the adjustment nuts, so even if I could fashion something it would get screwed up every time the camber was changed.

So hacked off at present.... starting to wish I hadn't started this. I was planning on refreshing the diff and gear shifter box. Doubting doing everything with the car now.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

On the FD2 you can just disconnect the sensor plug, wrap it up and zip tie it up and disconnect the bar from the OEM arm. The headlights then go to their neutral position, but you then can't adjust the level except for the manual alignment adjustment on the lights themselves.

If you don't tow anything (which you can't) or load up the boot with bricks and sand, you'll be fine.

If the car doesn't have HIDs then you don't need auto levelling for MOT (does it even have headlight washers?).

Crack on.

If the car doesn't have HIDs then you don't need auto levelling for MOT (does it even have headlight washers?).

I think it does have HID, checked the colour temp against the garage and you can clearly see the difference between the side lights and main beam. Think I kinda need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back