• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help please - need more toe adjustment

Evs

Bit of an essay here, please bear with me...

I've just been having a play with my suspension settings as the front camber was set to -1.5 deg each side and it was a bit 'lively' and torque steery (understatement!) on cambered roads & ruts.

So I've taken it back as close to -1 deg as it will go using the adjustable top mounts on my coilovers.

So far, so good. :)

Now I come to set the toe up, obviously with the car sitting on its wheels, and everything seems fine until I try to tighten the locknuts on the track rod ends. They won't seem to tighten up properly. Seems odd, so I jack the car up and take the wheel off to get a closer look, and it turns out that I've wound the track rod end right off the end of the track rod on both sides :shock:

Couldn't tell with the car on the deck as the wheel wouldn't move, but the problem is obvious with the wheels off the ground.

Basically the track rods / rod ends are too short to give me correct toe with that camber and ride height :?

Not a show stopper for now as I'll just wind some more negative camber back on, ie put it back to where it was before, which gives (just about) enough to do the track rod ends up and tighten the lock nuts.

My question is, is there anything that can be done to sort this problem ie either longer track rod ends, aftermarket ones, or any other mod/adjustment that can be done to get the correct toe with a bit less camber? I've seen pics of some J's racing ones that might do the job, anyone tried them?

I realise that raising the ride height might help a bit, but I'm happy with it where it is and don't want to start messing about with that (yet). It's quite low but not totally slammed, I've certainly seen lower.

Anyone else had this problem and able to help please?

Inverted tie-rod ends will help as these connect underneath instead of on top and allow more adjustment.

Thanks for that - do you mean the J's Racing ones, or can you get others?

Thanks for the links, much appreciated :D

They look good - did you have exactly the same problem as I've got then?

Well it's back together and test driven - added a touch of positive toe to be on the safe side and it actually drives better than it did before I started, so not a total waste of a couple of hours :lol:

Might look at ordering some of those J's rod ends though, not really that happy with it as it is. Thanks again for the help :smt023 :D

Evs said:
Thanks for the links, much appreciated :D

They look good - did you have exactly the same problem as I've got then?

No as never got round to having my suspension setup properly as I decided to sell my CTR not long after I had the work done on it :roll:

I purchased them as they reduce the angle of the steering rod arms on lowered cars which improves the steering feel, making it very sensitive but I have read a few cases where people have had to use them for your reasons.

Back