• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How restrictive is the OEM backbox?

Afternoon all,

I have a '06 Premier EP3 which has saw track a couple times now, I Bought a J's 60R for it a while but ended up selling the backbox and keeping the B-pipe as it was just too loud for the apartment complex I live in.

I plan a 4-2-1 manifold, K100 & RBC... Once I get my wavetrac fitted.

Could I expect the 'normal' gains of this setup running an OEM backbox as opposed to an aftermarket one?

Might sound like a daft question but I've read before that OEM backbox flows well, I've had a Spoon N1 on my SiR EK which I loved but just too loud for my requirements now, I had a Mugen Twinloop on my DC2 which I liked in both looks and sound but find it difficult sourcing a reasonably priced Mugen system for the EP3.

After experience more than speculation too and recommendations of course.

Cheers
Kris

Couple horses to be gained perhaps but nothing to write home about. OEM is generally considered to be a good backbox until you go forced induction or are running right at the top end of N/A potential. It looks boss too so stick with OEM for me.

I removed an aftermarket tailpipe (cobra) for a genuine Honda OEM item & definetely noticed a loss in power up past 7k rpm.
Probably a good few bhp if you can feel it.

Couple horses to be gained perhaps but nothing to write home about. OEM is generally considered to be a good backbox until you go forced induction or are running right at the top end of N/A potential. It looks boss too so stick with OEM for me.

Cheers for the advice, See I wasn't 100% when I removed the J's backbox if the lack of sound was a placebo. Hmmmm...

I removed an aftermarket tailpipe (cobra) for a genuine Honda OEM item & definetely noticed a loss in power up past 7k rpm.
Probably a good few bhp if you can feel it.

Interesting, I should probably get something to replace the OEM backbox in reality but just trying to decide on something quiet enough, Cold starts at 6:30am in my complex wouldn't be adored to say the least.

Back