• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to change DC5 front discs and pads

DSC00968.jpg

STEP 1 - REPLACING FRONT PADS

A - Knock out the pad retailing pins circled blue. The pad retaining clip should then fall out.

B - Open the brake fluid reseviour cap

C - Slide the pads out of the caliper. If there is a lip on the disc you might have to giggle them about a bit or tap them out using a small scew driver and hammer (two taps at the top, two at the bottom - contiue this until pad comes loose)

D - If your old pads are OEM, remove the shim off the back so you can use it on your new pads.
DSC00583.jpg

E - After placing the shim back on, apply a small amount of copper grease to the back of the shim.

F - To be able to put the new pads back in you will need to push the pistons back in slightly. I was able to do this with my hands but if you cant then you can remove the caliper in order to use a C clamp (see STEP 2 -B,C and G)

G - After pushing the pistons back in, slide in the new pads.

H - Replace the pad retaining clip and pins....DONE

STEP 2 - CHANGING BRAKE DISCS

A - Follow STEP 1 - A,B and C to remove the brake pads

B - Remove the braket holding on the brake hose
DSC00592.jpg

C - Remove the two bolts holding on the caliper. Mine came off easily but, if needed, spray on some WD40 and leave to soak for a while. Once they are out place the caliper down making sure you dont stretch or bend the brake hose. (at this stage i gave my calipers a good clean)

D - Undo the two screws holding the disc onto the hub. These are marked in green on the first picture. They are very tight and so make sure you have the correct size screwdrive. I had to use an impact screw driver to remove them.

E - Pull the disc off towards you. If it doesnt come off easily you can use the bolt removed in point B and screw it into the holes on the discs (circled yellow in the first picture). This will help push the disc away frol the hub.

F - Place on the new disc and screw back in the screws that hold it to the hub.
DSC00590.jpg

G - Before putting the caliper back on youll need to push the pistons back in. If you cannot push them in with your hands, slide the old pad into position and place one or two C clamps against the pad and caliper (as show below). Tighten the C clamps until the pad is flat against the caliper. Do this to both side so that all 4 pistons have been pushed back in.
DSC00586.jpg

BEFORE
DSC00584.jpg

AFTER
DSC00587.jpg

H - Bolt the caliper back into position as well as the brake hose braket

I - To finish, follow STEP 1 - D,E,G and H

P.S. Obviously jack up the car, secure on an axle stand and remove the wheel before attempting either steps ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back