• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improve K&N Typhoon

How can I make my typhoon kit breathe better and take in colder air. The first thing I am looking for is some sort of heat shield to surround it if anyone knows where I could find one or even better how to make a home made one. Im just wondering if anyone has done any at home mods to their typhoon kit to improve it.

Start with a heat shield but try to find some good material to work with that reflects heat. You will then need a good cold air feed pointing at the filter, best way I can think is to have a scoop like the GM or even a working bonnet scoop, but most people I think go from the front grill.

Cheers for the reply I agree I have been looking on ebay and stuff and seems to be a large range of heat shield material so I will construct something too fit and as for the cold air feed I have a couple of cold air feed pipes from old pipercross kits from my earlier cars I think I might go and make some sort of cold airfeed pipe/cable tie contraption just now and see what I can come up with:)

You can buy a wraparound heatshield from demon tweeks, it's just a thin piece of aluminium that you shape around your filter and secure using a hose clamp!

here's one on my old AEM kit:

073.jpg

cost me £13 if memory serves!

Sounds good to me, try using a sheet of cardboard and cut it to match the area around your filter, you can then use it as a template to cut your material.

I like that idea nice and simple design how its held on with a bracket and hose clamp would probably be just as easy using that as making one. Not alot of room from the front grill to the air filter because of the fans etc for a cold air feed. Might just stick to the heat shield as its the back of the engine anyway and I dont imagine it would be sucking in a great deal of hot air anyway although I could be wrong

Its just the short thyphoon kit I have I believe there is a long one which carries on down towards the manifold. In saying that though either way you are right the heat will still build up and rise I wish there was a way of just blasting cold air at the thing

Yeah I know what you mean about the front grill too, it is quite tight there, I had a HKS powerflow short ram kit on mine for about a month but it lost power over the stock setup, it ran really bad with all the heat soak. Have you tried the hondata standard airbox mod, it's quiet but better than any short ram and free too.

No I havent seen that what is that I take it its just a case of drilling some holes just guessing because you said its free. I like free mods thats the stuff that excites me lol

Interesting. Wish I would have thought of that before buying my typhoon lol. Saying that though the growl from the typhoon is worth it

Yeah it's always good when it sounds nice. If you won't sound and performance though save up and get proper cold air intake or GM/Tegiwa that's what I'm doing.

I know Ive always wanted the GruppeM but I just hate the price tag i dont know if i would regret spending that money on it last time I looked they were round about £600. I reckon it would be a considerable difference though compared to the cheaper alternatives

Back