• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Insurance Question

J2

Firstly i'm an 18 year old and obtained my full license in November 2011, coming up a year.

Currently drive a suzuki swift but looking to sell for a civic type r ep3 (My dream car for a long time). Insurance is the issue though, so i'm going to drop this question.

Are there any companies that would touch a 18 year old on a civic type r, with a year experience as a named driver?
If not, what about a 19 year old?
Also - is there anyone on here around my age who have a type r ep3, if so, how much do you pay?

I remember 18 year old owning a DC5, and he is paying sky high insurance, around 4-5k yearly.

But DC5 is JDM import which means higher insurance group, I think DC5 is Group 20 and UK EP3 is Group 17. iirc.

So probably cheaper than 5k but it depends on where you live, if you have a good postcode and such etc..

Hope this help!

Well i'm paying 2.6k on a Swift, so anything around that and i'll be more than happy.
I'll have to do a search/phone around to see what anyone can do

WTF? Which one? The Sport?

You're going to get absolutely raped on an EP3 if you're paying that much for something like a Swift.

That's nothing, I gave my nephew a 1.1 fiat punto had come in as uneconomical repair, did the work and gave it to him as I knew the insurance would be crazy money!

When he was looking he had quotes from 4.5 k to 9 grand!! In the end he opted for the lowest he could find and had a box fitted to his car that logs his driving. Throughout the year he has been getting cheques for 200 quid here and there for being a good boy.

Now his insurance is due he looking at quotes of 1000 just because of this little box!

All that said, good luck on an ep3 they gonna really bend you over!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best lube up mate!

I'llbe getting my ep3 this year after waiting 4 years for my ncb to grow and make the civic affordable. Im not sure paying upwards of 3k a year on insurance is worth it unless money is an non issue!

Where you from mate? I'm 19, coming up to 2 years driving and a claim against me and type r is only 1800 on insurance (I say only coz I thought for my age was quite good)

Back