• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Integra DC2 suspension query

Hi guys

I have a 1999 DC2 and the shocks are knackered.
I need springs and dampers.
I don't want bone shakers.
I want to go lower on the standard wheels.
I need great handling as I do trackdays too.
I don't want to spend too much as I'm poor (and tight) LOL

Can you recommend any?

Kazza
XXXX

Kazza from Mansfield?! :lol: I seem to recall reading an article in the Chad some months back...

Congrats on becoming a racing instructor! :smt023

If you do not want to go too firm, nor spend too much, what about trying to source a set of decent OEM second hand if that is possible. As the stock set up is very very good, and well set up for track, combine this with uprated bushes. Hasnic on here recently uprated all his chassis bushies with powerflex items and that transformed the feel of the car. He said you do not appreciate how loose things can get until you refresh the suspension components in this way. Steering feel/fedback is now improved 10 fold.

I am sure he will give more info if you need it.

He has since then replaced his dampers with Buddy Club coilovers, which whilst not cheap at over a grand, do come with a wide range of adjustability are of excellent quality and are suprisingly complient and not over firm. Though they do need to be set up well, and he has spent some time tweeking the geometry at TGM motorsports to get the most out of them.

I agree with G. I had a DC2 for 5.5 years from new and it was absolutely awesome when I first got it. Don't lose sight of how good the OEM setup is when it's in good nick.

My car seemed to go soft after about 3 years, I assumed the dampers were past their best and I kept asking Honda to check them at the services, but they kept saying they were within spec and didn't need replacing. I think it was probably the bushes, so tbh I'd look at replacing these first. Poly bushes are the obvious option but the OEM ones are designed with some compliance that allows the geometry to change and add stability under braking.

If I were you I'd get the bushes replaced with OEM spec ones first and see if that fixes it. If not then try some newer OEM dampers and maybe some lowering springs.

HTH :)

I think it depends on how much you want to spend really, swapping bushes can be an expensive and long process and vitrtually everything was seized on mine and it was a real pain to end up doing (well for TGM rather than myself anyway!)

If you want to go the coilover route then there are a few options around starting from D2 Racing which seem to work very well on the DC2 and aren't silly money, and have sensible spring rates so the ride shouldn't suffer too much if you wind the dampers down a bit. Then you've got the Tein range again, works very well, and you have the choice of various models to suit the budget.

I went with the buddyclub racing spec coilovers for two main reasons, gas filled and height adjustability without changing the preload on the spring.

You can also use fixed dampers, such as tokico or Koni and use a good spring which will work well, and comes in around the same sort of price as a lower to mid range coilover.

One thing I would recommend is to invest in adjustable components for the car so the entire geometry can be set-up to what will work best for you. I've currently got adjustable camber arms front and rear, adjustable toe arms on the rear and will soon have adjustable castor for the front as well. The adjustable toe and camber arms i've got are made by Eibach/SPC and are reasonably priced as well. The castor bolts are Whiteline and are only £15 ish, so i would seem silly not to try them out!

One word or warning though, the more things you can adjust and play with the more you can mess things up, Brands Hatch yesterday I was getting frustrated trying to get rid of some understeer and things were slowly getting worse the more I tweaked things :roll: :lol:

SharkyUK said:
Kazza from Mansfield?! :lol: I seem to recall reading an article in the Chad some months back...

Cheers mate. Note doing any this year as I'm concentrating on my own racing, trying to rebuild my race car after I blew it up at Croft playing with some Porsche 911's :lol: At least I got past them before she blew.

Kazza
XXXX

TypeRchick said:
SharkyUK said:

Cheers mate. Note doing any this year as I'm concentrating on my own racing, trying to rebuild my race car after I blew it up at Croft playing with some Porsche 911's :lol: At least I got past them before she blew.

Kazza
XXXX

Fair play, Kazza. Good luck with that. I hope I didn't freak you out with my first post... I used to live in Mansfield (as my folks still do) and they save me every edition of the Chad (as I now live in Cheshire!) I saw your rabbitvwracing and recalled the article... So apologies if I freaked you out! :lol:

Good luck with your racing and keep us updated with your progress. :smt023

Cheers,
Andy

Back