• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM EP3 Bottom End Rebuild

Afternoon all,
I had a bottoms end rebuild on my EP3 and after minimal mileage (around 25 miles) of normal driving i.e. not hard driving, always ensuring it’s warmed etc a garage has just confirme the bottom end has gone again.
I’ve spoken to the guy that fixed it and he’s perplexed as all updated and bored etc, but he mentioned maybe fuel was getting into the oil to thin it..
My question is, how would fuel get in to the engine? From what I read it would be either piston rings or cylinder bores, both of which he would have dealt with on the build?
Just curious on your thoughts/opinions as I think he’ll be looking for something to get himself off the hook so to speak
Thanks all

Who did the rebuild, some bloke called Dave from the pub? A rebuilt engine should not be letting go after 25 miles. Sorry you're going through this as I can't imagine it was cheap but clearly something hasn't been done right.

If the engine was rebuilt and has let go there its the builders responsibility to put this right u must have a invoice or guarantee foe work done if not, how did u pay if u payed by credit card and no joy with the builder open a claim with your credit card company and re claim the money back under not receiving goods payed for

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Who did the rebuild, some bloke called Dave from the pub? A rebuilt engine should not be letting go after 25 miles. Sorry you're going through this as I can't imagine it was cheap but clearly something hasn't been done right.
No, I completely agree and it wasn’t cheap to have it rebuilt. He’s been out to look it over, but I got the feeling he was trying to find something else to indemnify himself. All he really said was that he was baffled and asked me to drain the oil and see if I could see any metal or metal shavings in te oil, which I can’t.. going through the motions with him now

If the engine was rebuilt and has let go there its the builders responsibility to put this right u must have a invoice or guarantee foe work done if not, how did u pay if u payed by credit card and no joy with the builder open a claim with your credit card company and re claim the money back under not receiving goods payed for

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly.. I have the invoice and it had a warranty on it, so I ensured I emailed them about it for audit trail. Going through the motions with him, but I’m of the same opinion that it’s his responsibility

I'm curious about the bottom end re-build, if a K20 starts to knock (i.e. big ends) it'll need a new crankshaft, as they have a coating on the journals that if reground is removed.
So was a new crank shaft fitted ?
IIRC they cost £800-900

Hey, that is very interesting because it was definitely my bottom end and a new crankshaft wasn’t fitted; instead it was ‘reground’. To be exact, they did the below: -

‘Honda type R engine dismantled, crankshaft reground, block honed, cylinder head overhauled cleaned and reassembled with new
Bearings
Piston rings
Full gasket and seals
Timing chain kit’

Back