• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking noise when reversing FN2

Hi guys,

i currently own an 07 FN2 with 120,000 miles on the clock. I've noticed recently when I start reversing I can hear what I can only describe as one single knock from the engine. It's quite loud and easily noticeable from inside the car and out. Any ideas?

Whilst on the subject of faults my outside temperature sensor seems to only show "-40degC" when the car starts up then after that just "---" any ideas also?

And finally, when I bought the car the garage told me it's covered by a 6 month warranty although this warranty does not cover parts such as the gearbox and clutch because, as they stated, gearbox and clutch problems are not covered as it is due to wear and tear by the owner. Sound right?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the engine mounts to see if they are split. If they're fine then check the front drop links for play.

The temp sensor sounds goosed. It can only be adjusted by +/- 5 from the dash.

Dealer has to sell the car as fit for purpose according to the sale of goods act. Clutch is a grey area, but it should strictly speaking be free from defects on sale unless it was stated as faulty on sale "hence price" sort of thing. Gearbox should be covered.

Back