• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

knocking/tapping noise when i start engine in the cold?

Hey guys,

My dad said he noticed a knocking/tapping noise when i started my engine this morning from cold. He said he doesn't know too much but it could be something to do with my "ends" being loose or something? The car runs absolutely fine, is it worth getting it checked over to make sure? - any ideas what it could be?

hi frank :)

right we have to be clear. is it knocking or tapping? knocking/banging tapping/clicking?

does the sound quiet'n after a short period or is it constant?

failing big ends are big problems and big money but very unlikely to fail in a maintained k20 unless it has been running with no oil in, i would say it's more likely to be the valves. you would definitely know if it was the big ends from all the knocking/banging/rattling/slapping etc.

Hey guys! I mean i havent personally noticed it from being in the driving seat. The car has only done 60k miles and came with full service history when i bought it.

There's definately no vigarous banging etc... Im not a complete rookie when it comes to cars and i've not noticed it. My dad said he noticed it when i hadn't started the car for a few days, and maybe all the engine oil had sunk to the bottom... He said it might be the valves, as there definately isnt any knocking/slapping/banging noises.

Cheers for the input

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! I mean i havent personally noticed it from being in the driving seat. The car has only done 60k miles and came with full service history when i bought it.

There's definately no vigarous banging etc... Im not a complete rookie when it comes to cars and i've not noticed it.

Cheers for the input

i wouldn't worry mate unless it starts knocking, you'll know :)

Get the valves adjusted dude I got mine done its perfect now if its the valves it will be quiet when warm! I also noticed mine was more responsive an seemed quicker after! Honda can do it in an hour but need your car to be cold to Do the work they are supposed to be checked every 25,000 miles so yours might be due

Hope all goes well :)

If anything mine was slightly noisier once Tom adjusted the clearances. I found an oil change cured it for 2-3000 miles, then it would come back. Especially on the cold winter mornings. Only lasted a couple of seconds until oil was up at the top of the engine then it was all good.

I did find it would sometimes sound like knocking, so much so I was terrified about it and dropped it into TGM for Tom to listen to. He gave the car a clean bill of health, and basically stated the K20s make all sorts of sounds - concurred with the above too. When it's knackered, you'll know!

[video=youtube;B5V38sVpdqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5V38sVpdqc[/video]

Back