• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

(lack of) oil consumption

Have done about 3500 miles since I got my new CTR in early sept.

Based on comments I'd read here, and advice from the dealer, I check the oil every week, sometimes when warm, sometimes when cold (when the dipstick is a bit easier to read!) ... and it doesn't appear that my engine has used any oil at all.

Possibly a sign that I'm not driving it hard enough/often enough!!! The engine is loosening up nicely and just getting better and better (both in and out of VTEC)

Just wondered if anyone had this experience with a new CTR and if the oil consumption might change a bit over time?

Shackbleep said:
Have done about 3500 miles since I got my new CTR in early sept.

Based on comments I'd read here, and advice from the dealer, I check the oil every week, sometimes when warm, sometimes when cold (when the dipstick is a bit easier to read!) ... and it doesn't appear that my engine has used any oil at all.

Possibly a sign that I'm not driving it hard enough/often enough!!! The engine is loosening up nicely and just getting better and better (both in and out of VTEC)

Just wondered if anyone had this experience with a new CTR and if the oil consumption might change a bit over time?

I had probably the least oil consumption of any CTR when I had mine (based on comments on the other Forum). I topped it up once before 1500 miles (about a litre) then never had to put a drop in it until first service time! :shock:

And I didn't drive like a grandad either as anyone who attended meets with me can testify! :lol:

I have done quite a few 1/4 mile events and my car ain't used a drop of oil.......... :?

Think its a bit of a hit of a miss - I must be one of the lucky ones, at the moment anyway!! Better to always keep checking it.

the engine uses oil when, oil is pushed up and leakes through the piston rings into the combustion chamber, thus being burnt and passed throu exhaust, but it happens in tiny amounts so not to damage the cat.

Back