• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Looking to change my coolant

Still got my 04 EP3 and after giving it a service last week and as it's getting on a bit i think i should change the coolant as i haven't done after almost 8 years of ownership.

I have some Honda type 2 coolant on it's way to me and i have a rough idea on how to change it. I believe there is a plug on the bottom of the radiator. Is there one on the coolant resevoir or do i have to disconnect it and drain it manually? Also whats the best way to get the old coolant out of the block?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
Stu

Done the coolant change today. Was rather easy to do and i had to use the full 5L of Type 2 Honda coolant.
The coolant was only £15 so nice and cheap, piece of mind for the future winters that it is changed now too..

If any wants to do this on their own this is how i did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really easy to do.

I found it helpful and easier to remove the drivers side Inner arch liner to remove the expansion tank through the wheel well to give it a good clean. My tank was black with dirt and i struggled to read the level of coolant in it. You just pull up on the neck of the bottle to release it then feed it down through the opening in the wheel.

It is really easy to do.

I found it helpful and easier to remove the drivers side Inner arch liner to remove the expansion tank through the wheel well to give it a good clean. My tank was black with dirt and i struggled to read the level of coolant in it. You just pull up on the neck of the bottle to release it then feed it down through the opening in the wheel.

Hi mate
Did you take off the whole inner arch liner or did you just take some clips out and pulled it through?

Hi mate
Did you take off the whole inner arch liner or did you just take some clips out and pulled it through?

To avoid splitting the plastic inner arch and to make it easier i just removed the whole thing. It is only about 10 clips and 3-4 screws, takes a couple of mins to take it off.

To avoid splitting the plastic inner arch and to make it easier i just removed the whole thing. It is only about 10 clips and 3-4 screws, takes a couple of mins to take it off.

I managed to lift it out from the top mate, was a bit of struggle
got it all cleaned up and can see the Min and Max marks

Back