• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loud crunching noise on start up

Hi,

I have owned a 2004 EP3 for a couple of months now, noticed a few times it makes a loud crunching noise for 1-2 seconds sometimes from a cold start. I have attached a video of the noise. Any ideas as it's pretty worrying.

http://youtu.be/JD6LDnCbJ5Q

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Video doesnt work, I suspect this to be the VTC gear but it doesnt make a crunching noise it makes a rattle noise. A lout rattle that sounds like its coming from under the cam cover on the drivers side of the engine. Happens only on cold starts where the car has been left for hours and then disappears when driving and starting up throughout the day.

Video doesnt work, I suspect this to be the VTC gear but it doesnt make a crunching noise it makes a rattle noise. A lout rattle that sounds like its coming from under the cam cover on the drivers side of the engine. Happens only on cold starts where the car has been left for hours and then disappears when driving and starting up throughout the day.

Mines does the exact same, developed the fault the other day :(

Having mine replaced on Friday, will certainly keep you updated if your problem is unresolved.

All my heat shields were re-fixed, including exhaust manifold shield...still the problem happened intermittently. It's either the gear or chain...hopefully the guy i know will be able to determine which one is at fault :smt047

The video in the original post should work now, can you have a listen. Sorry, what is a VTC gear? I called the RAC but the car didn't make the noise so I showed him the video and he took a guess as a cam rod... Pretty worried in case it's an expensive job.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that it's the starter motor that's grinding. The noise is the same as when you turn the key when the car is already started. You will usually get this on cold days but it will disappear when you start the car when it is warm. I used to get this on my Toyota Yaris and it's really annoying but can be solved quite easily. What I did was remove the starter motor and take it to an auto electrician who then re-greased the internals of the starter motor as the pinion is sticking and getting overspun by the flywheel.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it's something simple. It had its full 75k service a couple of weeks ago and nothing came up, I have only noticed it since then. Being bank holiday, I'll ring TGM Sport tomorrow (where it had its service) and see what they think, I've already emailed them the video so hopefully will get a definitive answer. I'll keep you updated.

Yeh it'll be fine - 99% certain it'll be the starter motor. Nothing to worry about really - some people have put up with the noise for years but it is irritating

So it shouldn't actually cause any damage to the car? (I've been babying it around the last couple of days). Also, any idea how much it might cost?

Well it usually doesn't damage it and people have lived with the noise for years but then again it can apparently chip the flywheel - although I've never heard this on a Type-R though. How much it will cost will depend on what you decide to do with the starter motor. Don't get another 'used' starter motor as this will probably have the same problem or develop it quite soon. When it was making the noise on my Toyota, I took the starter off and got it greased/reconditioned by my local Auto Electrican and it was fine from there on - this cost me £30. If your handy with a set of spanners you could take it off yourself otherwise you will probably be looking at about an hours labour to get it off. Depends where you take it though...

Ep3 start up rattle: http://youtu.be/wzeq0nFDJQI that's what mine sounds like , is anyone's familiar?

This is your VTC gear, exact same noise on mine which is now gone thanks to replacing the gear.

It is hard to tell from your video boarder if its the same noise, the video quoted is a better representation of it, if your car sounds the same as that then its likely the VTC gear but if its a different noise then it will be something else.

Stuart.

iby_ep3 my has the exact same noise , been like this last 8 months , if you find out please post to me thanks :rolleyes: had no EML yet I would like to think starter motor fine when warm

Back