• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Misfiring on Idle and through rev range - 2004 EP3 CTR

Misfiring on Idle and through rev range, the car is a 2004 EP3 CTR - with 50k on the clock. EML is on, fault code reader says multiple misfire detection on all four cylinders. Not sure which route to go down from here with it being on all four. Any advice would be appreciated or if you have had a similar issue how was it ressolved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Need more information generally.

When were the spark plugs last changed?
When were the valve clearances last done?
Any chance you can borrow a separate coil pack and see if that resolves the issue.
Is the airfilter nice and clean?
Is the oil topped up and when was it last serviced?
Is there an error code for timing chain? Could be Tensioner/Stretched/Jumped etc.

hi thankyou for the fast response ive just checked the valve clearances today for piece of mind as i am a technician myself and its still got multiple missfires across all four cylinders the oil and filter was changed recently with spark plugs and air filter, theres no fault codes for timing ive swapped the coil packs with my freinds ctr and still the same. but ive found a heavily corroded and half snapped earth wire under the battery tray so im goin to try and source one tomorrow or make a fresh one myself. fingers crossed. thanks again.

hi thanks for the reply chris. is it common for the timing to jump? i would of thought the fault memory would of flagged up a cam/crank sensor fault implausable signal. but that being said the fault code reader im using is only a cheap obd reader so may not be reading everything? ** check the timing and price up a chain from honda tomorrow and maybe fit next weekend if this is the case thanks for the reply much appreciated.

It's a common thing on the K20 yes, especially if it's been over-revved or run low on oil. The chain can jump, stretch and even snap but that is catastrophic as I'm sure you're aware. Budget a new tensioner if the chain has jumped as well.

Back