• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mods before remap ep3

I'm booking in for a kpro and map in the coming weeks the mods that I will have before I get the map I'll list below
if anyone thinks that I could change any of the mods for something that's better for power or even suspension etc or missed anything out please let me know

Tegiwa carbon intake
skunk2 inlet mani
skunk2 70ml tb

Dc sports manifold
custom 2.5" bpipe
spoon n1 back box

abp eibach springs
eibach camber arms
eibach camber bolts
progress 24mm arb
skunk2 lca
buddyclub roll centre adjusters
superpro bushes

gearbox will be being rebuilt so planned parts
mfactory carbon synchros
mfactory 5:46 fd
mfactory helical lsd
stage 3 completion clutch
fidanza lightweight flywheel 3.6kg

Im thinking of a set of tdi north drop in cams as I want to stay n/a
any more advice or info would help
cheers

Throttle body has always been a very small gain for the money, 2-3bhp top end so I have heard, I'd save that cash personally.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

What's the cars purpose. Road or more track focused?
Engine mods, I'd go for an Injen cold air intake and a 3 inch exhaust system. The other parts are all good enough. Although as said about the throttle body, the gains are minimal for the price you pay and can ruin some of the drivability on light throttle. Plus disturbing the throttle position sensor tends to kill them and 'new' or aftermarket sensors have questionable reliability.
As for suspension, if you're planning on track use then coilovers will help a lot. Entry level coilovers worth the time of day tend to come in around £700-800. You may also need modified/shortened steering arms as well as a rack raiser bracket to get the alignment figures you need.
Gearbox, don't bother with synchros unless you have an issue. Stage 3 clutch is total overkill. Genuine clutch is only £160 and can handle plenty of abuse.
Cams are a good shout. Plenty of drop in cams available. TDI's cams seem to give good gains but are probably the most expansive out there. JDM spec cams are a good upgrade if you can find them cheap. Cam swap is an easy job also so don't let anyone scare you with big labour costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's a second car so more track orientated with a little road use , might not worry about the throttle body then and just stick to the inlet maybe go for a rbc instead as for exhaust system which 3" systems are good ?
I think I'll change to coil overs then maybe some bc racing ones and as partyvan said I should look at upgrading my breaks yellowspeed are a good price but are cheap compared to stoptech which worrys me

I'll have to gather a bit more info I want to do this the right way first time round lol

Solid Fabrication and TDI both make 3 inch systems that don't make your ears bleed (much).
The only issue you'll have is clearance with a progress anti roll bar. I know that the TDI system is built around a JDM anti roll bar and the exhaust will hit with the progress roll bar. I'm not sure with the Solid Fab system but I'd imagine it'll be a similar story.
Brakes are key, but I wouldn't necessarily dive into a big brake kit. Long term running of them isn't cheap. I use Spoon calipers which run standard lines, discs and pads. The calipers aren't that cheap but long term you'll save money and braking performance isn't far off a decent big brake kit coupled with some decent pads and discs. Big calipers and discs only perform as good as the quality of pads and discs you fit. Stick high quality pads and discs in the standard set up and it'll perform similar to a big brake kit with their two bob pads they supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't bother with anything made by Yellow Speed. Nothing to suggest they're not the same as all the other cheap Taiwanese etc brands.

On the Yellowspeed BBK - I've just had mine fitted and I have to say that they were very cheap for what comes in the boxes! (I also got a very good discount from Tegiwa). The discs and bells are seriously high quality items and the six piston alloy callipers seem very well made even if they don't feel as heavy as the cast ally AP's calliper. I only paid a third of the price!

However, on a light car live the Civic, they're already delivering huge improvements in stopping power and pedal feel even though they're still bedding in! And that's over the standard discs with DS2500's, braided hoses and SRF!

I've run AP's, Alcons, Brembos and Willwoods in the past and I could have afforded to do the same again, but instead of being an armchair reviewer - I've decided to try out the Yellowspeed Racing kit. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong ....

On the Yellowspeed BBK - I've just had mine fitted and I have to say that they were very cheap for what comes in the boxes! (I also got a very good discount from Tegiwa). The discs and bells are seriously high quality items and the six piston alloy callipers seem very well made even if they don't feel as heavy as the cast ally AP's calliper. I only paid a third of the price!

However, on a light car live the Civic, they're already delivering huge improvements in stopping power and pedal feel even though they're still bedding in! And that's over the standard discs with DS2500's, braided hoses and SRF!

I've run AP's, Alcons, Brembos and Willwoods in the past and I could have afforded to do the same again, but instead of being an armchair reviewer - I've decided to try out the Yellowspeed Racing kit. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong ....

Have you actually done any engineering tests to test their strengths? Measured any of the clearances and what not?

The D2 coilovers I had about 10 years ago 'seemed' well made, but they barely lasted a year on the road before leaking everywhere. Tom at TGM managed to set a set of D2 brake calipers on fire on the road. I believe that they are all made in the same or similar factories, D2, cheaper Meister R, BC, Yellow Speed etc etc. Same internals, different branding and sold on for large profit by traders in the UK who push them.

I'm not an armchair reviewer, I listen to people who regularly service and race EP3's and DC5's etc, I listen to what they have to say about the cheaper Taiwanese brands and I choose based on that information to purchase kit that has heritage and has been proven over and over again to work.

Have you actually done any engineering tests to test their strengths? Measured any of the clearances and what not?

The D2 coilovers I had about 10 years ago 'seemed' well made, but they barely lasted a year on the road before leaking everywhere. Tom at TGM managed to set a set of D2 brake calipers on fire on the road. I believe that they are all made in the same or similar factories, D2, cheaper Meister R, BC, Yellow Speed etc etc. Same internals, different branding and sold on for large profit by traders in the UK who push them.

I'm not an armchair reviewer, I listen to people who regularly service and race EP3's and DC5's etc, I listen to what they have to say about the cheaper Taiwanese brands and I choose based on that information to purchase kit that has heritage and has been proven over and over again to work.

Dooksy - I'm not an engineer - so I wouldn't do that as I wouldn't know what I was doing. However, I can do the subjective feel and visual analysis just fine.

Mine were so cheap - if they don't perform - I'll complain like hell and throw any required legal weight straight at the problems under the sale of goods act for 12 months. Beyond that point I won't feel too bad about throwing them away and buying a set of AP's. That said, at the moment they look and feel great!

And that "armchair" comment really wasn't aimed at you personally, but some people have opinions when they've never driven the vehicle or tried the product in question ... Think of me as someone happy to review / try stuff out and share my perceptions. Like the Bilstein PSS9's I've just fitted. Almost an "eccentric" choice on a Civic, but their performance thus far has been exceptional. They've actually improved the ride so that I no longer wince as I go over drain covers or potholes. And transformed the handling. Subjectively 20% less body roll, bumps dealt with in a single action and I haven't even started playing with the damper settings yet ....... :)

What I will say is that it is very interesting to read people who are engineers and who have stripped these brands. I know we're talking about brakes here, but coilover wise there's a guy on the S2000 forum that took apart a set of Yellow Speed coilovers that are raved about on forums, however he was less than impressed.

Well, they're getting good reviews from some - but I'm gonna jump to the other side - I took a kit apart a mate of mine bought at Autosport this year, and the internals weren't impressive both design and quality wise, so I hope they've changed since then, the piston finish was *****, the wear bands aren't energised, there were burrs on the valve shims and the semi-synth oil was nothing special either - rather thick to compensate for the internal tolerances at a guess.
He was happy with them on the car at the time - maybe they've just got the right valving out of the box - but in pure quality terms they were not really any better than KYB/GAZ/Koni, etc, same straight cut* needles for the adjusters with hysteresis issues and no temperature compensation, double whammy with the cheap oil there tbh.
I will say over the Koni/Gaz, etc, offerings the plating and finish on both the shafts and the bodys is pretty damned good though.

These for example appear to be the unbranded version of £650 branded Yellow Speed's, HSD, Meister R etc coilovers.

I do hope your brakes serve you well, but there's information on forums by engineering folk spread amongst all the positive reviews by those who simply drive up and down the road and are happy with the look and feel. And when it comes to brakes and suspension, for me anyway, I'm more comfortable that I'm using OEM or high quality after market parts made by manufacturers with history, brand heritage and proven in years of competition use.

Fair comment. Of course I hope the brakes aren't duds. Certainly the discs and bells look and feel really solid / well engineered. So the only question mark can hang over the ally callipers. As they're going on track later this month, I'll do some before and after photos, plus write something.

Back