• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mugen airbox with strut brace?

CTR

Ain't nothin' but a peanut
Gonna buy a Mugen airbox very soon and was wondering if it would fit with my strut brace. I have a Tanabe brace currently fitted and theres very clearance between it and the standard airbox (around 5mm). If it wouldn't fit, is there another brace out there that would? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

dotty said:
I take it you have not seen the Dyno results from the shoot out day :wink:

I presume your gonna tell me that a Mugen airbox is shite and that I should be going with a Gruppe M setup or something along those lines.

CTR said:
dotty said:

I presume your gonna tell me that a Mugen airbox is crap and that I should be going with a Gruppe M setup or something along those lines.

Nah.. AEM....... Cai...

:!: :wink:

Alex Gosney said:
CTR said:
dotty said:

I presume your gonna tell me that a Mugen airbox is crap and that I should be going with a Gruppe M setup or something along those lines.

Nah.. AEM....... Cai...

:!: :wink:

Can't be bothered to get dragged into this debate of 'my airbox is better than yours'. I've decided on a Mugen setup and I'm gonna go with it. Got a Spoon throttle body installed as well so they should work well together. At the end of the day Mugen is proper official stuff and isn't gonna be that far off anything else. They're all gonna be within 3-4BHP of each other, and if not post the dyno results. Anyway, back to the help i need!

For the record the Mugen was not much better than the Standard airbox!

If your willing to pay £400 quid for that then good on you! - Personally I would Go Gruppem or AEM myself :wink:

dotty said:
For the record the Mugen was not much better than the OEM!

If your willing to pay £400 quid for that then good on you! - Personally I would Go Gruppem or AEM myself :wink:

Been told that Gruppe M is a nasty fit. There was a big debate about this on the old forum. some people saying that Gruppe M was good, others saying it nothing more than a K&N in an ice cream box and that it was unbearable at motorway speeds. Same thing said about Mugen airbox, some saying it was crap others claiming it was very good and give around 10-12BHP when compared to OEM on dyno. Thats about as much as I wanna say now, I really need to know if it'll fit with a brace installed.

Come on lads...don't be harsh...the original question was 'will it fit' :roll:
I think HASNIC may have answered this on the 'old' forum but there seem to be different opinions depending who you ask. :?
He is in Cardiff today, so I doubt he will be loafing the forum.

Comparing different manufacturers has been done to death. :wink:

dotty said:
For the record the Mugen was not much better than the Standard airbox!

Hmmmmm...

However we do know that rolling roads are kinda fake.

You go for the noise and look tbh as the BHP Gains arnt all that noticeable, unless you want bragging rights on thie forum and the debate of "what filters best"

Each to their own... Not thought about the Comptech Icebox..?

Gruppe M users use a Mr Alex strutbrace :wink:

Recently there was a dyno shootout, Im sure some one has the graphs saved.

From what I remember the equipment tested were:

GruppeM
ITG
AEM
Standard
Mugen

dotty said:

GruppeM
ITG
AEM
Standard
Mugen

Yeah I've seen this stated on the system-r website. I have contacted em regarding this and was told that on the braces they've tested none fitted with Mugen airbox but they hadn't tried a Tanabe brace like mine so it was still un uncertain answer, that's why I tried on here as theres a bigger pot of knowledge to dip into, but then it set off the whole debate about which is best. Like I said, I'm sticking with a Mugen setup, nothing wrong with it IMO and if people think I'm wasting £400 then fine, it's not as if it's coming out of other peoples pockets.

CTR said:
dotty said:

GruppeM
ITG
AEM
Standard
Mugen

Yeah I've seen this stated on the system-r website. I have contacted em regarding this and was told that on the braces they've tested none fitted with Mugen airbox but they hadn't tried a Tanabe brace like mine so it was still un uncertain answer, that's why I tried on here as theres a bigger pot of knowledge to dip into, but then it set off the whole debate about which is best. Like I said, I'm sticking with a Mugen setup, nothing wrong with it IMO and if people think I'm wasting £400 then fine, it's not as if it's coming out of other peoples pockets.

Easy Mate...

Dotty was just be a helpful person and drawing ur attention to the Results in the event you were not aware of them...

Nothing More.. Freedom of choice! :!: :wink:

CTR like you said this place is a pot of knowledge - All we were doing was passing comment from what we know. Were not having a go about your choice of airbox.

dotty said:
CTR like you said this place is a pot of knowledge - All we were doing was passing comment from what we know. Were not having a go about your choice of airbox.

I know that mate and I appreciate your advice on the subject, I really do. It can just be frustrating sometimes when all your looking for is a straight answer to something and it seems to snowball into something else. Wasn't having a cob on any1 if thats what it looked like. I'll do some digging on the Mr Alex brace I think. Cheeeeeeeers.

Thinking about it now Julian (hovblackctr) had/has a mugen airbox and Im prety sure he has a strutbrace, Could be mistaken though.

I have a mugen airbox and found that it fouled on my j's strut brace. Not to add fuel to the fire but i managed 198whp with mugen airbox, dc race header and kpro, with standard exhaust!! I am very pleased with my mugen box & unlike lots on this forum i do about 25k miles a year in my CTR. Just passed the 76k mile mark!! :D

CTR said:
Gonna buy a Mugen airbox very soon and was wondering if it would fit with my strut brace. I have a Tanabe brace currently fitted and theres very clearance between it and the standard airbox (around 5mm). If it wouldn't fit, is there another brace out there that would? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

What a long thread.

Anyway back to the original question. I've tried pretty much every variation of strut brace with my Mugen Airbox.

Unfortunately, short of building my own, none have fitted.

BUT the Mugen / Spoon brace will fit over the Mugen Box, but I didn't want to move the reservoirs.

dsc00481_133.jpg

If the Tanabe strut brace is as high as the Mugen brace (from the pic it looks OK) then there should be NOOOO problem.

Back