• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My research into benefits of higher RON rating

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Been researching between 95 RON and 100 RON basically everyday mileage and looking at consumption rates between the two.

The car feels friskier with 100 RON in, and top end on the autobahns arrives quicker than with normal petrol.

One thing did stand out. I did a 800 mile return journey yesterday, 95 on the way down, with a full tank and managed 350 miles (all motorway). Filled up a little bit and finished the journey thete. Then ragged the car around so it had next to no fuel in before fill up, in went 100 RON with the fuel light long on, and I managed to get home (not hanging about either), and an additional 15 mile trip to work before the fuel light came on.

So thats 415 miles from one tank :shock: :shock:

I agree with you Chris, and speaking from experience, I too found I got more miles out of a tank of Shell V-Power compared to regular 95 ron. That was with 140mph cruising on the Autobahn and shed loads of VTEC.

I'm sure there are other folk from HET that can substantiate this claim :wink:

Optimax does cost more, but the benefits of using it pay off in my humble opinion. :wink:

How the fook do you guys get 300+ out of your tanks so easily? I managed 320 once but that was with barely any vtec sitting on the motorway at a strict 70mph all the way. Well.... most of the way...

Last week I got 240ish miles from a full tank of Tesco 99.

Paul-CTR said:
How the fook do you guys get 300+ out of your tanks so easily? I managed 320 once but that was with barely any vtec sitting on the motorway at a strict 70mph all the way. Well.... most of the way...

Fuel economy is not about what speed you drive at (well it plays a part), but more to do with how you drive your car overall.

There are many hints and tips about this all over the web, and a read of some will save people a lot of fuel. It saved me rough;y 50 litres per tank :shock:

good post I like it :lol: I've been a big supporter of using super juice for ages. And on average it's only gonna cost literally of few quid more overy fill, the cost of McDonalds meal. Surely that can't be bad.

Paul-CTR said:

Losts of things influence this, for starters, how many miles has your CTR covered. The more miles the looser it becomes, therefore more economical.

I very rarely got more than 220 miles out of tank until after the first service.

I still get 280 miles to the tank even with the supercharger on, unless I rag it all the time then it will drop to under 200 miles, but average driving with the odd daily blast will give me 280 plus miles.

My personal experience is that my CTR doesn't like UK Optimax :? I can't but my finger on it, the car doesn't just feel right and if anything the economy wasn't as good.

But VPower 100ron now thats a different story :twisted: The car seemed a lot better, and pulled harder at top end very slightly. The economy was a lot better as well, but I put this more down I used the complete tank on an Autobahn keeping the average speed up.

I regularly get 370 miles (combination of town & motorway) from mine and its tweaked to 198whp!! just passed 80k mile mark!

Friendy said:
I still get 280 miles to the tank even with the supercharger on, unless I rag it all the time then it will drop to under 200 miles, but average driving with the odd daily blast will give me 280 plus miles.

Thats scary, when i had my CTR with basic N/A mods i would get 240miles tops from a tank on normal driving and at a push sub 150miles when out on a rag :shock:

I regulary get 300miles per tank using optimax and that is driving at 80 most of the time with odd v-tec moments.

When using 95RON fuel struggled to get 280 :roll:

Plus i feel that the car is smoother and pulls harder on 98RON :)

Does using a higher octane rating reduce knocking/pinking, allowing for more extreme tuning, or I am just talking crap, if so do you need to use octane booster all the time(100ron) or can you just use it when you know you are going on a track day for instance.

I think with higher octane fuel you can advance the timing a bit as its less prone to knocking but i guess you would need 2 seperate maps, one for normal fuel one for octance boosted fuel?

Cheers when I get the cams fitted next week will have a chat with Paul & Mark. Is it just a case of filling the tank then adding the boost, are some better than others?

Hmm

i only managed 270 miles with optimax.

Did go to cambridge and back cost me £30 -£35 for a 200 miles round trip!
but i was VTEC all the way!

With my new found 211WHP im testing it this week to see how it last when driving normally and some vtec.

Most of my power is at top end, when i reach the redline, i get the same buzz as i use to get when i first experienced VTEC, it scary, its loving and everything is a blur!! LOL

Back