• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New Member - Engine Management Light Advice?

Howdie all,

I'm a newbie in the process of buying my first CTR - it's a 2003 NHB with a couple of mods......RAM Air Induction Kit, Sports/Lowered suspension and a performance exhaust.

Anyway on the first test drive and after giving it good going over i noticed that the Engine Management light lit up on the dash. Not flashing, just constantly illuminated :confused:

To cut a long story short, the trader where i'm buying from said that the exhaust was de-catted and this was probably the ECU sensing that 02/emissions were high, etc. So my questions are....

1. Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Will i have to take it to a dealer to get it reset? Cost?
3. I believe that with it being de-catted it will fail an MOT on emissions, should i get the cat put back in?

Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated!
Cheers

Yes it is possible that a lack of the cat is causing the problem.

IIRC there are replacement sensors you can buy which trick the ECU into thinking all the emissions are fine.

Yes you would most probably fail the MOT with no CAT, unless you find a friendly MOT centre;)

Has the trader still got the old Cat available???

It probably is cos there is no cat but if i were you i wouldn't buy it unless they can supply a cat, just incase you need it for MOT time or when you come to sell it.... unless you can find a second hand one cheap....

Yes i've been told that they have the original cat, which they will sell with the car if necessary. I'll make sure this is the case though!

Dont suppose you know if it's easy to put on/off?
It's just that if they wont put it back on before they sell it, it'll be down to me to sort out - and my knowledge in this area is limited!

I'd certainly be interested in those replacement senors that you mentioned too.....

the sensors mentioned is called an O2 sim, it basically fits inline with the second sensor that would be on your cat and tricks the ecu into thinking there is a reduction in gases making it think the cat is present

the caspers unit is the best way to go as it is just a plug and play item(just connects between sensor and wire harness) ABP sell them £70 i think so not cheap items but i have one spare that i was about to sell, let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for your comments so far chaps.

The more i think about it though, i may just go down the route of getting the cat put back (no rhyme intended!). Undecided at the mo - your own opinions may help? Keep it as it is, or put it back??? :confused:

I must admit though, it does make a beautiful sound :D
But then, i dont know what you gain in power....if anything at all.
Plus the legality of it, considering it will fail an MOT.

If it were me i'd have it put back on, but thats to save any future haslte/messing about....

i've got no cat on mine but i'm am fairly mechanical so quite enjoy working on the car and dont mind swapping the race header out and putting the cat back in.

a decat does give some gains but not sure how much max gains would only be seen if using Kpro as the standard ecu can only adapt so much.

Back