• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No power to head unit (warning - contains facepalms)

Recently my OEM Alpine sat nav head unit has completely lost power.

I had taken my battery out to fit a new headlight bulb, and before I put it back in switched the ignition on to check the bulb was working. (Facepalm moment number one)

This caused much merriment to my mate who was there and as I felt like a tit I rushed round to put the battery back in to check it. With the ignition still switched on. (Yep you guessed it, facepalm number two)

Ever since then the head unit has had no power at all, even the red flashing light isn't working. I've taken the whole lot out to check that it has power going to it (which it does), I've checked every single fuse in both fuse boxes and now I have run out of ideas.

I have another Sony head unit which I could whack in, but I'm quite keen to keep the original one as it has an OEM disc changer in the boot which is quite handy to have.

Would be really grateful if anyone can help me out with this one.

Cheers

Didn't think to check for that. Won't be able to get it all out again until next week. Bugger.

Don't suppose anybody else would know?

there should be a fuse on or inline to the stereo, some are under the cooling block on the rear of the stereo that can be accessed normally with one screw. I would try attaching your other stereo to double check it is the original stereo at fault. try resetting it, the reset button is normally somewhere accessible from the front. other than that if no joy a pro sparky may need to have a butchers and repair, or sling it in the bin.

Finally got the head unit out tonight, there's no fuse on it or on any of the wires running to it. Bought an adaptor for my old Sony unit and that works fine so I guess I've completely fried the electrics in the unit itself. Guess it's gonna be the bin for it then!

Does anyone know of an adaptor lead that would enable me to use the OEM CD changer with my Sony unit? Had a scout round on the net but couldn't find anything

sorry mate. I don't think a adapter lead is available for your changer, what i have searched anyways. It's a shame to bin your old stereo, take the cover off and have a look inside see if there is any black 'blow' marks.

Yeah I've done that since I posted that last message. Had the whole thing apart, no obvious signs of any problems inside. Put it all back together again and obviously had the obligatory single screw left just to complete the experience.

Cheers for your advice though mate

Back