• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Noob needing gearbox help/suggestions

As the title states really. Very new to the Type R's. Got a 2010 Type R GT at the end of November last year noticed a nocking noise about a week ago.
Had it looked at by a garage who's told me they wouldn't touch it, and said I need either a new gearbox or a full refurb, but I've called a few places today (including a Honda dealer) and getting the same response, nobody wants any part of it.
Gobsmaked cause its only just done 50k miles
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated,

yeah, that's right, although when traveling, stick it into neutral and there's still the knocking

Totally forgot to mention the knocking starts as you move, and more speed = more knock

Uttoxeter might be worth a trip, the guys at Area Motorsport will be able to diagnose the issue properly.

'Broken gearbox' seems to be a little bit of FUD from the garage(s) you've tried and isn't that likely on these gearboxes. It could be all kinds of issues - broken driveshaft, wheel weights, knackered clutch/flywheel, engine/gearbox mounts etc. Any mechanic worth their salt should be able to help diagnose the issue with a combination of looking at it up on a ramp and a road test.

Cheers Chris. The FUD statement seems true so far, as soon as I mention the issue and model they act like it's cursed or something.
Think one of the first things I'm going to have to do is get in thouch with the dealer I had it from. See what I can get out if them first, as I've not had it 2 month's yet.
Failing any progress there, I'll get in touch with Area, stick it on a trailer and get it in.

Fingers crossed it’s just a CV joint, probably best case scenario. More speed rather than more revs would suggest that it’s probably not the gearbox.

Yeah, see, the first thing that came to my mind was CV joint, but after asking around I was advised it was that but the sound of it, it was more likely the thrust bearing.
Then like said, booked in to be looked at and they took all day to look, then didn't even give it a real look, took less than an hour to decide, and said gearbox bearings.
The noise is more prominent when accelerating and decelerating, just in gear generally really. Then when pressing the clutch or selecting neutral, its still there, just a bit quieter. It's all fairly hard to describe to be honest.
Get to about 40mph and its more of a whirr, if that makes sense.
I'd upload a video where you can here it, but the file size of the video I've got is too large.

Is it a constant knocking or whirring? If it's whirring and somewhat goes away when you press the clutch that sounds like the clutch release bearing. But remote diagnosis is never accurate!

Try Rob at Area Motorsport (as above), Dave Hudson at Motion Motorsport Stoke on Trent or Steve Brindle at Grinspeed Preston

before you go spending money to get somebody to look at it refer the dealer you bought it from to the Consumer Rights Act https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/m...-rights-act-gives-car-buyers-right-to-reject/

The presumption in law is that a (major) fault that occurs within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been present or developing at the time of purchase.
You have missed the 30 day clear rejection window but the dealer must be given the chance to fix it at their cost

Well, better late than never, but, problem solved...
Took it into Motion Motorsport in Stoke and the guys there were spot on. Gave it a good look over and came back with this....
- New Counter shaft and crown wheel
- Complete gearbox bearing set and input shaft seal - bearings VERY rough from sediment in gear oil nd lower countershaft bearing worn from pitting on shaft
- 2nd gear - engagement teeth heavily worn
- 2nd gear synchro - below service limit
- Exedy OEM clutch - (clutch heavily worn and release bearing rough)

£1713 in the end, luckily I only had to put 550 towards it. But back on the road and loving life again

thanks for all the input dudes :)

Thank's for updating. Not the cheapest fix but at least it's working now and you can enjoy your car again.

Back