• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Offside wing removal... easy job or a bit of a pita?

Basically, some nice person has decided to leave a lovely dent in my wing which has dislodged the bumper. Force mustve been quite hard as he/she has managed to crack a little bit of the bumper where it meets the headlight. Anyway I have sourced the wing (picking up on sunday, hopefully) and just want to know, is it a relatively easy job to remove or am i loooking at removing the side skirt as well? Cheers.

It's long to explain but easy in theory man. Not hard but extremely fiddily and frustrating.

- for maximum space, you can remove the side-skirt - it's not mandatory though, but the front end of the side-skirt will need to be free.

- remove the wheel

- you'll need to remove part of the wing mirror housing, and windscreen trim, the arch liner, bumper. You do not have to remove the door. There are a couple of fiddily clips that would go in a whole lot easier without the door in the way though. These clips will likely snap, so I'd pick up replacements.

- expect a 10mm bolt under the car to be submerged in some pretty tough/sticky gloop; you'll need to work away at that to get at the bolt.

- I would only do this if you're comfortable fcking with cars, as you do have to strip a lot off (parts, clups, screws, bolts, trim,) the top to get at the main bolts that affix the wing.

- I'll see if I can pull you out a picture tomorrow that shows how that area of the car is put together, if you locate all of the parts you'll get an idea of how to take it apart. Personally, I'd remove the bumper first, and all the wing related clips/bolts/screws. Then I'd move in to the engine bay and free the wing via it's fixtures in the bay. After that I'd focus on the area around the door and wing mirror. Lastly the bolt and fixtures underneath the car.

Be careful when you remove the old wing, it can damage paintwork.

Also don't slam the door closed when you first fit and align the wing otherwise you risk catching the edge and fcking up the wing and/or the door.

If you need help, PM me and you can have my number and I'll talk you through - I've fitted at least 3 pairs so that's 6-wings on and off three times each etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's long to explain but easy in theory man. Not hard but extremely fiddily and frustrating.

- for maximum space, you can remove the side-skirt - it's not mandatory though, but the front end of the side-skirt will need to be free.

- remove the wheel

- you'll need to remove part of the wing mirror housing, and windscreen trim, the arch liner, bumper. You do not have to remove the door. There are a couple of fiddily clips that would go in a whole lot easier without the door in the way though. These clips will likely snap, so I'd pick up replacements.

- expect a 10mm bolt under the car to be submerged in some pretty tough/sticky gloop; you'll need to work away at that to get at the bolt.

- I would only do this if you're comfortable fcking with cars, as you do have to strip a lot off (parts, clups, screws, bolts, trim,) the top to get at the main bolts that affix the wing.

- I'll see if I can pull you out a picture tomorrow that shows how that area of the car is put together, if you locate all of the parts you'll get an idea of how to take it apart. Personally, I'd remove the bumper first, and all the wing related clips/bolts/screws. Then I'd move in to the engine bay and free the wing via it's fixtures in the bay. After that I'd focus on the area around the door and wing mirror. Lastly the bolt and fixtures underneath the car.

Be careful when you remove the old wing, it can damage paintwork.

Also don't slam the door closed when you first fit and align the wing otherwise you risk catching the edge and fcking up the wing and/or the door.

If you need help, PM me and you can have my number and I'll talk you through - I've fitted at least 3 pairs so that's 6-wings on and off three times each etc.

Cheers mate, will defo give it a try tomorrow, if not then tuesday. Will definately make sure i do things very carefully. As mentioned, i'm picking the bumper and wing up tomorrow and if the wing hasn't already been removed, i will be removing it myself and that will give me an idea of what you have said and where i need to look to get to the bolts/fixtures etc. Will pm you and ask for your number if i do get into any difficulties. You're a star matey! :)

You're welcome dude.

Mine need to come off for paint - so I'll try and do a proper how to for future ref - when I do, until then, if you need any assistance - just drop me a PM dude.

Sun.

Cheers Chris.

:)

Well, got to the place to pick the parts up and what a let down and a waste of a journey it was. I was told both parts were in immaculate condition with a tiny stone ship on the wing (which i wasn't bothered about). Got there and the wing was quite badly dented and a crack straight down the middle of the bumper was clearly visible. So glad i only spent £20 in fuel and not the money i potentially could've spent. Search continues :)

Can't stand seller's like that. Fcking muppets mate. Bad luck man.

If you don't mind spending a little more (but still less than Honda) Funky-Power (google it), offer EP3 wings unpainted for £100 IIRC.. I've no experience with the quality of fit though, but you can't quibble with the price as I think they're £300 odd from Honda.

Will need paint though. :(

Cheers. Will give them a try once i've looked at the wing and bumper from another prospective seller :)

Back