• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil cooler blew out

Hi I'm new to the forum and my first post will be a sad one! I was going down the motorway in my ep3 type r when all of a sudden i heard a massive pop and my engine and oil light came on. I pulled over on the side of the road to find my car covered in oil at the back and drivers side. Turns out my oil cooler burst a seal. I have since got a new one and am due to get my car on the road again this week I was just curious to see how much damage may have been done to my engine running it with no oil for a very short period of time.

Thanks guys

Difficult to tell if any damage has been done. You won't know until you repair the leak, fill with oil and run it up. Personally I think you'll be fine. I had an oil cooler leak on me, although it didn't bring on the oil pressure light I haven't had any issues since and I've done plenty of track work since the incident.

Could be lucky. If you got the engine off quick enough, engine was warm and it was an easy RPM, hopefully there should have been enough residual oil to avoid scoring or spinning a bearing.

Got my car back it runs fine but the engine light came on after about 25 miles of driving so i fear the worse!

Back