• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Opinions Please.

Scousefella

Mental for Oriental
Following the trend from this Spoon Cam Cover thread click Would it be a realistic option to have a Cam Cover manufactured from Carbon Fibre? :twisted:

Could someone with the required amount of skills/talents be able to photoshop a CF Cam Cover? :D

I would appreciate your input. :wink:

This looks like one for composite guru. 8) Sounds like a good idea but even if its possible (if CF can take the heat?) i suspect it'd be too expensive to be worth it. :wink:

Neily03 said:
This looks like one for composite guru. 8) Sounds like a good idea but even if its possible (if CF can take the heat?) i suspect it'd be too expensive to be worth it. :wink:

I expect cost would be the major factor but if CF is able to accept the running temp on a K20 Cylinder Head then maybe something could be done. :twisted:

Scousefella said:
Neily03 said:

I expect cost would be the major factor but if CF is able to accept the running temp on a K20 Cylinder Head then maybe something could be done. :twisted:

I don't know much about CF but (imo) it'd need metal inserts where anything bolts into it (oil cap) it would need metal re-enforcements where the bolts go through to bolt it to the head so you could do it tight enough not to leak...... the cost would be hurrendus.... imo and i might be wrong....

I would of replied sooner but have not long been back from Paris. :D

TBH having such a major part of the engine made of Carbonfibre is not really a good idea.
We do use high temp CF at our place but it is only used for heatshields and such like. It can tend to be porous so the oil would find its way though eventually.
The old F1 Cosworth engine oil tanks were made from CF but we had loads of problems with them leaking. The layup of the CF has to be 100% perfect to ensure a proper seal for the oil. The Ferrari one has a aluminium tank so thats the best bet for reliability.

Another reason why it may not be a good idea is because CF doesn't expand under heat like metal does so you will have a stress problem too once its bolted down.

Just my veiw. :D

There is nothing stopping you making a complete shell like cover though if you get what im on about

A thin layer of carbon that would fit over the original, would prob be needed to be bonded on and so not really an aftermarket part

Bit of a thread revival but the BMW 320Si (WTCC homologation special) has one fitted as OEM. There's a pic on p45 of Autocar 17 May.

Back