• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Petrol cover release - FAULT

For the last couple of months its been really difficult to get my petrol cap cover to open when pulling the release lever.

Its starting to get embarassing having to spend about 5 minutes trying to get it to open at the petrol station especially when there's a que behind me!

Anyway, it does eventually open but I want to fix it before it the weather starts getting worse which will make me put it off even longer.

I just though I'd ask on here before I start removing plastic trim and chasing the release cable through the car.

Unfortunately mate it's time to take your seats out. I've had this go on a few cars in the past, not sure about the civic but these weren't able to be tightened so I had to replace the cable. A cheap part but a pain in the arse no the less.

Prior to this I had to open my boot, pull all the trim off and release the catch by hand from the inside it got that bad.

I was planning on stripping the rear seats out anyway, just means lll have to do it sooner rather than later. So in the mean time, if I remove all the trim inside the boot (behind the petrol cover) I should be able to manually release it?

Will have to get on to Lings tonught and order a new part. Did you only order the cable or does it come with some other little fitments/clips etc. (Sorry, I'm on the internet on my phone while at work, otherwise I'd have a look on their website).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all you help guys, I fixed this today and thought I'd share what I did.

If you open the boot and take the plastic cover off on the left hand side where you would normally change a rear light bulb you'll see the petrol flap release cable. Twist it to the left and it'll pop out and the petrol flap will open as the popper/release is attached to the cable. I then greased the popper and petrol flap hinges and bent back the bit of metal that catches on the popper to lock it by a few mm.

Problem solved.

Back