• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Post paint waxing

Hi all....just had my bumpers and a door repaired and painted. Wondering if there's a time frame to avoid polishing and waxing?

Lewis

I'd leave it 2 months before waxing, and you shouldn't need to polish fresh paint for a while anyway. ;)

I've found varying opinions about this on detailing world. most say that if it's resprayed by modern methods (baked in oven whatever that is lol) then it should be essentially good from the go. My paintwork had loads of swirls as a result of whatever they do to finish the overspray or something, this could have probably been avoided but as they were light swirls I figured I could correct it myself. I have also heard that you should avoid waxing for a few months to allow the paint to cure or some ****, whether there's any truth to that or its just misinformation relating to old resprayig methods I do not know.

I know I'm a little late to answer, but there are products out there that can protect the paint, without fear of letting the paint cure/out gas properly. Permanon is one, gtechniq c2 is another (arguably the same product)

I recently had to do a correction on a bmw 335D, which had had the bonnet resprayed, no protection afterwards and the bonnet had a rather nasty bird poo etching right in the middle of it, plus all the front end had etching from bugs, which I had to wet sand out before machine polishing. Usually this is because of cheaper lacquer.

if a car has been baked through correctly then it should only need cool down before you can touch it with anything, i.e nibbing/flatting and buffing, as for waxing you would only need to leave it to fully cure which will only be a few days, unless someones applyed 3or more coats in which case it would take a few weeks, there is only ever 2coats needed when clear coating so should be fully cured within a week

Back