• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

power

I was just wondering, isn't it a bit much to pay over £1000 to buy an stage 1 tune for only a 10-20 bhp raise?

On Dyno graphs, the area under the curve gives you the best idea on overall power. The larger your area, the quicker the car is.

kingbuttmunch said:
I was just wondering, isn't it a bit much to pay over £1000 to buy an stage 1 tune for only a 10-20 bhp raise?

Perhaps considering if you spent the money on a turbo'd motor you'd be more likely to a bigger increase in power.

But that's the difference in engines. With FI engines you literally 'forcing' the power out of the engine, whereas with an NA engine the power is 'coaxed' out of it. FI and NA engines are completely different beasts so don't feel as if your getting ripped off in anyway if your paying a lot of money for what may seem a very little return power wise.

Friendy said:
What do you get in a stage 1 tune for £1000?

I'm guessing not much TBH Paul. The price along of say a decent filter, b-pipe and back box would around the £1k mark, then there's labour to go on top too.

£1000 seems expensive for an air filter & exhaust :?

Get an AEM CAI for £200ish
Exhaust for £300ish
Lowering springs, camber arms, fitting and fast road set up £500ish.

If you can fit bits yourself you can save even more money.

I was basing it on roughly the best you can get really. So I was thinking along the lines of a Gruppe-M and Spoon b-pipe and N1 muffler. Brand new, those items will set you back best part of a grand, so that doesn't leave anything left for labour.

Personally I think you get what you pay for in this world, especially when it comes to aftermarket performance items, that's why personally I always go for the best there is if possible. Not to be an elitist or to brag, but simple because I know the extra money I have spent also goes towards peace of mind that I have top quality parts will perform.

CTR said:
I was basing it on roughly the best you can get really. So I was thinking along the lines of a Gruppe-M and Spoon b-pipe and N1 muffler. Brand new, those items will set you back best part of a grand, so that doesn't leave anything left for labour.

Personally I think you get what you pay for in this world, especially when it comes to aftermarket performance items, that's why personally I always go for the best there is if possible. Not to be an elitist or to brag, but simple because I know the extra money I have spent also goes towards peace of mind that I have top quality parts will perform.

I can understand where you are coming from and if you can afford to buy the best of everything then thats great. But if you are on a budget when it comes to modifying, you can get decent parts like the AEM CAI, a custom exhaust and K-Pro fitted and mapped for £1350 which is going to give better gains than a CTR with Gruppe M and spoon system but without K-Pro which would cost £1000.

Back