• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

(Quick oil level question) When to add oil ?

Hi guys,
I did a serious (re)search and I didn't get a definite answer :confused:

I check my oil after a night, when engine is stone cold (as it's recommended by other users ?)
I do have like 60-70% right now.

My quick question - is it criticaly low for k20 ? Or just safe/optimum level ?

I heard oil has to be topped off to MAX all the time, so is there any "security buffer" (like 50%<->90% range) ?

Im asking as I don't want to overfill this baby (when checking warm it sometimes shows over max, while it's at max on cold)

Appreciate your input and sorry for noobish question :p
Pete

Yup as long as it's between the two it's fine.

There's 1 litre between the two lines, so you can gauge how much to top up if it's getting towards the lower of the two markers.

Thanks guys.

Here's what I did notice (for future reference):
When stonecold - its shows the 70%
5 minutes after stopping - 80%
1h after stopping - 95%

So I'm guessing checking stonecold is good as long as you won't let it drop below 50% and exceed 90% - AM I RIGHT ?

appreciate !
pete

It's not an exact science lol.

Don't go above maximum cold and you will be fine. What oil are you using?

Cool, I'll keep it this way. And do you know what's the minimum safe level ? @MIN dot or ~50% or ~80% (cold)

answering your Q.
10w60 during the summer time but I'm changing to 5w40 for a winter period (motul 8100).

thanks for input
pete

^^ Did you not read my post?

Specifically, where I said, if it's between the two lines it's fine?

Obviously start thinking about topping up if it's getting towards the lower line.

If you do a track day make sure it's on max, but not required for road use.

Back