• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rattle noise on start up

Hi all, I've had a look on here but can't seem to find a problem similar to mine.
On the odd occasion when I start my EP3 there's a sudden rattling noise, for less than a second, then it stops, almost like something's being shaken with the movement of start up.
It doesn't happen every time & I can't repeat it on request. I also never hear it at any other time except start up.
Any ideas?

Cheers, Stuart.

The starter motor can stick and not disengage properly on starting and it only makes a noise for a fraction of a second. It's more of a grinding noise though than a rattle. It will more than likely only do it on a cold engine if the car has been stood all day or overnight.

Other rattles on start have been timing chain rattling as the tensioner hasn't started working properly on start-up oil pressure. Causes are gummed up oil channels, weak tensioner and/or low oil level.

There have also been a few people had rattles that have been cured by replacing the VTC gear which was starting to fail. This tends to do it more often than not on startup but could be similar to yours if it is in the early stages I guess.

Could also be one of the heatshields vibrating as the engine is rocking the mounts on starting. Equally it could be an engine mount, but they also tend to knock on lift off and heavy acceleration, so maybe not.

Good luck!

No, search starter motor noise on this forum. Lots of threads.

It's the pin not returning on the starter so it's still in contact with the flywheel when the engine starts. Doesn't cause any issues other than the noise. You can replace the starter but the noise will probably come back eventually.

No, search starter motor noise on this forum. Lots of threads.

It's the pin not returning on the starter so it's still in contact with the flywheel when the engine starts. Doesn't cause any issues other than the noise. You can replace the starter but the noise will probably come back eventually.

Thanks a lot mate!

Back