• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Really bad braking power at at high speed - FN2

Hello, since I got my registration done I will use the occasion and ask about my biggest problem on the FN2.

Car: 2008 FN2 with 93k Km got weared out clutch and slotted brake disc in front. Pads, well there is enough stuff left.
New tyres: Pirelli snowsport on oem wheels.

Problem: When going around and above 130 kmh braking gets very difficult. Pedal gets hard but there is almost no effect on the wheels.
Impossible to get ABS working even with full force applied to the pedal. -> more force = pedal more stiff.
As if the VSA is trying to prevent me from braking ... Without VSA braking is lots better but still not the hit. Difficult to trigger ABS at full speed.

I am used to threshold brake on my 86 RX-7 which has no ABS, so the proper braking technique is not new to me :D
One thing for sure, the 7 does brake, you will bite the dash when I go to max stopping power :)
Doing the same on the FN2 results in almost nothing, so I think there might be a problem somewhere.

Help is greatly appreciated.
Anybody heard of a similar problem ?

Steven

What pads and lines are you using?

Straight away I can recommend you using Ferodo DS2500 pads or Cosworth Streetmaster pads, then HKS, HEL or Steptech Braided Stainless Steel lines and some Motul RBF600 Fluid.

The pads have a higher friction co-efficient than the OEM pads, especially at higher temperatures after a bit of use, the braided lines will give much better pedal feel and feedback and the fluid will handle higher temperatures much better than OEM fluid.

RX-7 has a 4 piston caliper with approx 325mm (13" ) disc if I'm not mistaken? The FN2 only has a two piston caliper and 300mm disc so won't have the same stopping power out of the box. Upgrading the pads, lines and fluid does have a dramatic effect on the stopping power however!

Edit: just re-read. MK1 RX-7 brakes... I'd looked at MK2. Advice on the upgrades to do to the FN2 brakes still relevant though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Loxy,
I dont know what pads are on there, they came with the car I just bought a few days ago :) Believe lines are stock, didnt notice any aftermarket stuff on there.
The car is at the stealer now, I managed to get technical inspection and registering done today .. hehe
Will look out for the Ferodo pads. The car does stop at low speed ok, nothing to write home about but its ok, a small bit to weak if you ask me, but that could be personal preference.

At high speed then its getting interesting, pedal gets hard and I have the feeling that its VSA related but could also just be bad pads.
As for the 7, MK1/2 ? I drive the second gen RX-7 also known as FC, they came in 2 pot caliper or 4 pot with vented discs front and rear, as lucky as I am I got the 4 pot version :)
Upgraded the discs and rebuild the calipers, rest stoc. I get around 10 meter stopping distance from 50 km/h to standstill on wet asphalt using threshold braking with the 7.
That qualifies as cool in my book ;)

Unfortunatly I cant just put another set of lines on there, I need papers form them or otherwise car will be rejected for registration/next reg.
Same for any other mods ... So we are quiet limited here :(

Steven

sure i got told the car can fail mot with them DS2500 pads in as there not marked for road use, but i doubt that service centers check the pads as long as car stops i guess its fine for them

sure i got told the car can fail mot with them DS2500 pads in as there not marked for road use, but i doubt that service centers check the pads as long as car stops i guess its fine for them

True as they don't have the R90 approval but as you said I doubt 99% of test centres will bother, as long as it stops they won't care

Mine passed twice with them on, the first time was at a Honda main dealer. :lol:

I now have the solution to why it doesnt stop well, got a phone call from the stealer ... There was a set of competition racing pads mounted ...
Of course under normal driving conditions they won't do the job properly. They need to get heated up.
I didn't went so far as considering a set of racing pads on there. Well seems to be plausible.
Yes I doubt they will care for the pads at inspection. As long as it stops. But lines and different calipers are a nogo here...
Oh btw new clutch with install here is 1200 € about 1000 gbp I think =)

Back