• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear top mount issue?

Hi guys,

I am having trouble tracking down the source of a knock from the rear end of my DC5. It is coming from driver side rear. I have inspected underneath the car and all the usual suspects seem to look in decent order and my exhaust is well secured. My next suspect would be either the rear top mounts or the rear shock itself. The car is lowered on Buddyclub coilovers. Is there a way to inspect the rear top mount in situ without removing and replacing before I purchase a new one? I am aware of how to get at them by pulling the carpet back in the boot.

p.s the knocking noise is a dull double clunk noise when I go over even the slightest bumps. Very frustrating as the rest of the car is very tight driving.

Cheers

Top mounts on the rear are basically solid. If all the nuts/bolts are tight then it’s unlikely to be the top mount.
I’d be looking at either drop link, lower shock mount bush or the shock itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK thanks. This could be a silly question, but is it possible to switch the shock from my buddyclub coilover for a standard one if it did turn out to be te fault? Can't seem to source a replacement buddyclub one.

Wouldn’t advise that. It would handle terrible.
You could swap the rear shocks from one side to the other and see if the noise moves to the other side. This would confirm a fault with the shock.
I’ve heard buddy club parts are difficult to get hold of and to be honest there’s better out there for the money of buddy club coilovers. Might be worth investing in new coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back