• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rocker Cover Breather - Anything to worry about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Ston...0068&clkid=7741847772939569366&_qi=RTM2063723

if i was to fit a open cone filter onto the standard intake pipework it would leave the breather open to atmosphere. Ive read that these mini filters/Breathers can do more damage then good which i really don't understand, surely its just filtering and preventing ingress into the rocker area while allowing the engine to vent. Leaving it exposed would do more harm

just curious and open to peoples opinions

They can let moisture in because the filter is right to the rocker cover rather than at the end of a breather pipe and then an intake pipe.

That being said there are loads of people that use them, but you only need one if your intake doesn't have a point to put the breather pipe to or you don't want that breather pipe...

So if you were to extend the breather pipe then fit one it would help. or fit a catch tank , got an s2000 filter that bolts straight to the intake but has no where for the breather. Thanks Loxy

Straight to the throttle body you mean? If you have your OEM intake pipe it'll still have the breather.

A catch can with this mini filter on would be a winner though IMHO.

ordered a ram air breather, will run it and see how it goes , can always dropped the top half of the box and filter at a later date

Im sure I read a few articles about the crankcase breathers not being a good idea.

The breather pipe is on the OEM box and not the intake pipe unfortunately, but I did manage to find on ebay at one point an intake hose extender so you could put your cone ont the end of that and there is a port to attach breather a bit like the red pipe shown below:

main_venom.jpg

Found this thread, but doesn't read well and is a little confusing:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...replace-the-line-by-one-of-those-tiny-filters

But there are other thread on other forums, but seems a catch can would help the IVAC from getting clogged anyway

yea there seems to be confusuion between pcv and the standard breather, as someone stated its open to the atmosphere through the airbox anyway. ill have to look at them extenders as thats what i would prefer.

Yeah it all gets a bit confusing, I actually like the look of the breathers too.
But the OEM set up must draw air out of the rocker due to its design and air flow direction hence IVAC getting clogged with oil deposits etc.
Which makes me think its set up this way for a reason.
I like the look of that green rocker too

yea its well above my head, just dont fully understand the harm. With a catch tank and breather , or even a decent breather i would imagine it would be fine without any issues

seems to pull harder in Vtec but but its properly just in me head, but the sound certainly makes up for it if there is any performance loss. Would be a brilliant winter MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the modification you made any different to the standard airbox mod? In terms of cutting out bits that is.

Edit: just found your explanation for on your build thread. (Y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure its part of the Hondata Air-box Mod anyway so once i put it back i can finish it off , but for what i needed its perfect.

Just brought the s2000 air filter and breather, anyone had any issues

Had it on my road EP3 for a year without problem and then transferred it to the track EP3 which we've had for a bit more than two years without problem too. :)

Back