• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rust

Noticed this on the roof where it meets windscreen on my cosmic ep3. Is a small patch no longer than 8cm. As you can see I have rubbed wax into it to help prevent more water getting in. What are the options here? Its hardly noticeable being on the roof though

Last edited by a moderator:
A good sand down and a respray. Plus i would also replace the rubber strip along the top of the windscreen.

Ok had a trip to my local honda dealer today. Booked in for the next service which they are charging me just £100 as I am bringing my oil and they are going to to take pictures of the rust and send it to HQ. As its (just) within the 10 year paint warranty he is pretty sure they will carry out the work for nothing. He also said even things that are out of warranty Honda are good and do the work out of good will in some cases. Promising news so far.

Yes I was told by other people from a FB group which had work done on their cars mainly FN2's. It seems to vary from dealer to dealer along with a lot of other things.

FN2 roof rust is covered by a 6 year warranty, not too sure about the EP3 I guess it would be the same cover. I have attached a copy of the service bulletin from Honda for the FN2 in another post if you are interested in viewing.

FN2 roof rust is covered by a 6 year warranty, not too sure about the EP3 I guess it would be the same cover. I have attached a copy of the service bulletin from Honda for the FN2 in another post if you are interested in viewing.

yes please link me up. Well I am just going from what other people said who has had work done. Some have said its 6 years like yourself and some have said 10 years but the guy at the Honda dealer said its within the 10 year warranty plus they sometimes do the work if its out of warranty.

I've got a hint of bubbling on a front wing, the rest of the car has also seen better days, to be expected with a ten year old Honda tbh.

I'm going to pop into the local dealership and ask, just in case I get lucky.

Maybe they helped me as I was getting the car serviced there so I was spending money with them. Could of helped

The ten year warranty is Anti Perforation warranty and doesn't cover surface rust. Been there, tried that and got sent away. The rust has to have rotted through basically, but has to have come from the inside out as surface rust that has gone the other way is classed as poor maintenance.

The roof on the 8th gen Civics has been recognised as being caused by a design fault on the windscreen rubber, and so the normal three year warranty has been extended by another three years.

I'm not saying you won't get it approved, stranger things have happened, but in all likelihood if you catch them on a good day and get on well with the service department at the local dealers then they'll ask you to pay the labour time on it and they'll pay materials.

You have to speak to the service department which I doubt will be open on a Sunday. Interesting stuff Loxy. The guy who I dealt with seemed pretty convinced but it's not him who approves it I guess. Shall see what happens. Like we say I thinks it's pot luck and depends which dealer you go to from the stories I have been told.

So all ep3's have 10 year paint warranty I will try calling the dealer soon.

The ten year warranty is Anti Perforation warranty and doesn't cover surface rust. Been there, tried that and got sent away. The rust has to have rotted through basically, but has to have come from the inside out as surface rust that has gone the other way is classed as poor maintenance.

Good luck!

Back