• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

smoky and the bandit

hi everyone,just got my type r at last 02 reg had it about a month and love it,found some usefull stuff on here too,
my car gives a puff of blue smoke sometimes on cold start up,but only one puff as soon as its started its fine and never does it from warm,
any ideas?
THANKS DEAN

Piston bores glazed, the rings not seating till it gets warm. Give it a bloody good caning. If you get any smoke on throttle on, its rings. Throttle off, its valve stem guide seals. But cold oil and cold engine = = high oil pressure until the oil thins. This squeezes past an ill fitting piston ring into the combustion chamber.

thanks for the speedy reply stella,do i need to get this sorted asap or will it be ok to drive it like this? ill do the caning tommorow as im going on a run. also what sort of cost should i expect to sort it?
thanks

As long as it clears, and doesn't continue smoking after you have started it, I would just say its teething and would be worth monitoring to see if it got worse, however if you notice it smoking whilst the engine is warmed up then it is more serious. When you have a run tomorrow are you going with anyone else (more than one vehicle)? if so ask them to watch if its kicking out any smoke on heavy acceleration of if the notice puffs of smoke as you down change on deceleration.

The corrective work in itself is not that difficult, a new set of rings and a bore honing should clear it, however again, its about as deep as you can go for an engine strip, without actually removing the crank. You could maybe get away with a bore hone without removing the pistons, but this is just a partial fix. Like I said previous, monitor it, it maybe just tell take puffs at startup.

Cost wise, not cheap, but this is worst case scenario. At a guess you have about 45-55k on the clock and she may have been driven hard by its last owner. Fundamentally, there is nothing wrong with driving them hard. The engines are brilliant, but they need to be looked after if you are going to drive them hard. When was the last service, was it carried out utilising good quality oils and parts, by a Honda dealer. If you cannot ascertain its servicing quality, treat her to an oil change and maybe that will just do it.

As for driving it, as long as you do not have any oil pressure/light issues and there is no great plumes of smoke polluting the countryside. No worries at all. I reckon.

Last edited by a moderator:
once again thanks matey,
been on a run today and all i had was one bit of smoke on fire up,once started no smoke then nothing at full chat or on decelleration,no smoke when the engine was stopped and restarted either,the small puff of smoke only returned when the engine had cooled down and was restarted.
the last service was done 2k ago and was done by main agent.
like you say ill just moniter it.
thanks for your help,you seem to know a lot about these cars,and this is a big help to a newbie like me
thanks dean.:D

Back