• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Someone help me please

Hey guys, well after owning my ep3 facelift for 2 months now it has been nothing but trouble.
Had my gearbox bearings done along with a new exedy clutch.
Now where I need help with a few things..... I had the box done as the input shaft bearing was noisy as hell when engine braking mainly in 2nd and 1st. Now that noise is gone but I can still hear the same noise when revving in neutral past 2k saught of a humming grinding metal sound, put my foot on the clutch and it goes.
Now Steve at Grinspeed has had it in bits and changed all the bearings said it was mint, just surely there shouldn't be such a noise when revving the car sat still...

Next I know my front engine mount needs replacing also my front shocks... But every time I set off from lights or even roll down my drive at walking pace I get a loud knocking from the front almost under my feet, even with the engine off rolling on a smooth road it's constantly knocking, worse when setting off from lights. It's driving me insane! Any help?

Plus anywhere to get a set of oem struts cheers guys.

Loose anti roll bar? New anti roll bar drop links needed?

I'm surprised Steve wouldn't notice this though? :?

Unsure of grinding noise, are you 100% it's not a heatshield, normally the driveshaft one makes a noise?

The knocking may well be the broken engine mount. It's quite common.

Although Chris has made a good point about arb drop links. Knock like billy when they have gone!!

The light humming scraping sound when revving in neutral if the same sound that I envisage sounds almost like light rain on a tin roof, or pouring sand onto a sheet of steel. It's very difficult to explain the noise as its a shhhhhhhh type of sound if that makes any sense? It's where the gearbox is under no load and all the syncros and main shaft roller bearings are spinning at full engine speed. Remember that when you are in neutral half the gearbox is spinning at engine speed and the other half is stationary. In neutral all the gears are still spinning but the syncros arn't, they sit ever so slightly rubbing against the friction cone of the spinning gear and have small wear on them causing shhhhhhhh noise.
Press clutch and the whole gearbox becomes stationary, select gear and drive and the syncros still have a little rubbing on the cones but as its all moving together the noise is a lot less apparent and probably can't be heard over engine/road noise.
No gearbox is silent and the ep3 one is noisy compared to most, add that to the low sound profing properties of the ep3 and its easy to pick up noises that can't normally be heard.

Cheers pal, yes I think I did buy a dog although Steve said it was one of the better ones he's worked on ..
I'll put the box sound to being normal then as said its basically a reconned box and all is well inside the box.
I may try replacing the drop links again then aswell as new arb bushes... Heard eBay drop links can be cheap anyway ...
Hope this had luck doesn't continue.
Anyone know anywhere to get a set of shocks or maybe a full shock spring kit for not a stupid amount.
I don't want a drop just better road holding and damping. Cheers guys

How much are you wanting to spend? You could get OEM dampers from a breaker and some lowering springs.

Well I can get meister r coils from Grinspeed for around 650 so for struts and springs wouldn't wanna spend more than say 400ish
I heard I could get kyb standard struts from eBay but there are all like 200 quid for one!

Any websites for suspension would be very appreciated cheers

Nothing against Meister R, but if the car is predominantly used on the road, I would stick with OEM dampers.

Yes I'm never going to track the car just purely road use, I just can't seem to find any websites that will sell the standard shocks without a ridiculous price tag

Have you tried putting up a wanted ad?

Maybe someone that has moved to coilovers is trying to sell some on??

Back