• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spoon Calipers are on!

Out with the old and in with the new:

aug2006oldbrakesnewbrakesev3.jpg

The DBA Gold discs are on. The old discs didn't look in bad shape, but having tried all the heavy braking techniques they still juddered and didn't inspire any confidence as the juddering got worse when they heated up.

Once the DBA's were on I drove back to the g/f's (about 15 mins), within 5 mins they'd started to make a whiring noise, kinda worrying. I decided that the best bet at this point was to follow the advise I'd seen on the StopTech website. So, 10 runs of 70>20mph were conducted on my way to her house. The noise didn't stop, so I was starting to worry. The next day I got up to go to ABP for some Parada Spec 2's and the brakes didn't make a sound. Nothing, not a hint of a problem. I've since driven down to Birmingham and back on them (total mileage on them must be IRO 270miles now I'm home). No problems what so ever, started to push them a little harder on the way back, they really work nicely with the Spoon calipers.

The Spoon calipers and DBA discs make a mighty combination, for fast road use these are :shock: :twisted: I can appreicate those like Friendy who do a fair few track days might find the discs a little too small to diserpate the heat, but for Road use they are flipping fan'bloody'tastic! :twisted:

A big thanks to Paul @ TDi North for fitting me in late on Friday to get those discs swapped!

aug2006newbrakesrf2.jpg

they will perform better there than in that cardboard box where they have lived for ages Paul!

Good to see them on at last, as you said for the road they are amazing and light, shame the old discs were no good but the DBA's look 8)

How much were they if you dont mind me asking and what were the old discs?

The old discs were a rather knackered set of EBC turbo grooved discs, I will let Paul tell you if he wants about how much.

Looking good Paul :)

Might eventually be tempted to get some once I can semi-justify the price in my mind :)

Friendy said:
The old discs were a rather knackered set of EBC turbo grooved discs, I will let Paul tell you if he wants about how much.

So are the EBC Turbo grooved discs not very good or was it just that set that was past its day?

Funky said:
Friendy said:

So are the EBC Turbo grooved discs not very good or was it just that set that was past its day?

The sets I tired, were both crap. I dunno if they are any good or not. I can understand the set of Paul's being knackered after some trackday abuse though...

The DBA gold discs for your Info were IRO £250 + Vat.

I used several sets of the EBC prior to switching to the Stoptech, but the extra stress of the track and sticky tyres and 261wbhp was too much for the std size discs, so they may have been overheated :wink: and warped slightly, not sure if sitting in TDI garage for several weeks prior to fitting would have made a difference. Prior to switching to R888 tyres I had no probs with them, ask reddy he has them fitted to his supercharged civic

Back