• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spraying Your Alloy Wheels

Spraying Alloys

This guide is comprised of photos from start to finish on how to spray your alloy wheels.

You will need:

Sand paper (preferably Wet and Dry) Course and Fine
Old Cloth
Bucket of Soapy Water
Old Newspaper
Flexible Masking Tape

Available From Halfords Ownbrand Range

Can of Degreaser
Can of Primer
Can of large Colour Coat X 2
Dust Face Mask

Step 1

Once the wheel has been removed the first step is to rough up the wheel by removing the Lacquer with the sandpaper. Wet and Dry sandpaper works best but ordinary sandpaper will do the job.

First use the course sandpaper to remove the top layer of lacquer from the parts that you want to spray (results should be obvious), then smooth off these areas using the fine sandpaper.

Step 2

Using ordinary washing up liquid or car shampoo wash the wheels to reduce grease as this will help the paint stick to the wheel properly.

Step 3

Once you have hosed off the soap, spray all the areas that will be painted with degreaser, this is more of a safety precaution to make sure there is definately no grease left on the wheel.

Step 4

Making sure the wheel has completely dried by itself, start to mask off the areas that you dont want to spray, using newspaper on the bigger areas and the masking tape near the edges (make sure you use flexi masking tape, benifits will be instantly apparent over normal tape).

Step 5 DO NOT RUSH!

Primer comes in 2 main colours; Grey and White (depending on what colour you are spraying the wheel will determine what colour primer.) For light colours use White for darker colours and shades use Grey.
With the can held about 4-6 inches away, spray the wheel in even layers (making sure you dont get too close or focus on one area for too long, otherwise it will run), 2 layers will suffice.

Step 6 DO NOT RUSH!

Repeat Step 5 with the colour coat you want (im using black).
The more coats the better, but make sure the previous coat is completely dry first.

Step 7 DO NOT RUSH!

Now for the finishing touch, repeat the previous steps using the lacquer.

Put the wheel back on your car and admire your handywork! 8)

Hope this is Helpful...

Useful guide, remember though any curb makes etc will be accentuated by spraying alloys, try cleaning up all edges and maybe some form of filler or welding to tidy them up.

Personally a friend does mine for about £30 a wheel, there were a couple I bought in a job lot that I was going to throw away, they are mint now.

One could skip the priming part completely or spray locally on bare aluminum. Regarding the sand papers you could spray onto 800 wet, or as i do for faster and better matting of the surface red 3M scotch brite and soap water.

Back