• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stroker Kit or JRSC

Hi guys, just after some opinions and advice.

Ultimately i'd like to get my CTR up to about 280 - 300 BHP, but i'm not too sure what would be the better way to get there.

Obviously with a JRSC you get loads of instant torque and power for a relatively smallish outlay, but with the SK you get loads of usable power, but is more expensive.

Any advice/opinions on the above would be great.

Cheers all

Mez :)

If money is not an issue then the Stroker Kit is going to be my choice. 8)

N/A all the way. 8)

Hmm I think the JRSC is proven, and do not forget it does not FEEL like F/I.

It has linear power delivery and not so much torque like a turbo that it is unusable power. Having said that people like Paul up at TDI North are getting great results N/A, and power wise between N/A and the Jackson route is very close tbh. I guess at the end of the day it is a simple matter of budget.

I will ad that when it comes to move on from the CTR, the Jackson Charger being a relativly simple bolt on affair would be easier to put back to stock...

Just a thought.

Best power proven at the moment is the JR with the IPS cams and valve springs.
It makes about 10bhp more than a normal 9psi install but torque is a very big increase. :twisted:

Cost wise it will be pretty similar to a Toda stroker kit where peak power will be pretty similar but torque obviously lower.

Advantage with staying NA is the power is usable in all gears in all weather conditions. With boosted traction is a real issue in lower gears.

tp said:
Best power proven at the moment is the JR with the IPS cams and valve springs.
It makes about 10bhp more than a normal 9psi install but torque is a very big increase. :twisted:

Cost wise it will be pretty similar to a Toda stroker kit where peak power will be pretty similar but torque obviously lower.

Advantage with staying NA is the power is usable in all gears in all weather conditions. With boosted traction is a real issue in lower gears.

Unless of course you do what I did, go Jackson, stay low boost and you have just as much usable everyday power (in reall world terms), I mean 280 fly bhp is plenty in a FWD car, unless of course you are after something mental for the track and strip....And I rarely have issues in wet conditions, as it is easy to feed the right amount of power in.

Also so far with that set up the standard drive train can cope easy. Though I stil plan on getting an LSD as soon as....

I just think saying to yourself, "I want 300 bhp" just smacks to me of a figure plucked out of thin air to say to folks " I have x amount of power", when surely the whole package is important. Get the Brakes, chassis and drivetrain sorted first. Then go for the power.

Of course if you have done that already, or plan too I'll shut up and leave the room :oops: :D

G, interesting what you wrote about staying low boost and having usable power.

Naturally it would be great to have lots of power, but i want as much of it as poss to be usable.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Be it a 9psi supercharger or a stroker kit you'll need to uprate a fair few parts anyhow to make the most of it.

I think I'd be more tempted to wait for Toda's ITB's than pluck for the stroker kit, along with some nice cams A3's or whatever.

As G and others have said to get the most out of it, you will need to upgrade other parts of the car, choice of tyre is critical to getting the power down, but that costs. I have the R888 on at present and they harness the power in all but the first gear in the dry, but I will have to change them twice a year.

CTR_Paul said:
Be it a 9psi supercharger or a stroker kit you'll need to uprate a fair few parts anyhow to make the most of it.

I think I'd be more tempted to wait for Toda's ITB's than pluck for the stroker kit, along with some nice cams A3's or whatever.

That is why I have stuck with 5psi :D. You only notice the difference over say 80 mph (which is when Type in his JDM racekitted car started to pull away, up to then nowt in it).

Back